Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

Author Topic: Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a wonderful rock opera/adventure if you like JB & KG. If you find something in Jack Black, it's a hilarious physical farce. If you liked Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, it's along those same lines.

If you don't fall into one of those categories you'll probably be bored or annoyed with it.

I loved seeing the normal collection of C-listers making for a trippy collective of characters. Especially Tim Robbins & Amy Poehler.

A great analog mix too! The image printing wasn't as good, but adequate. Employee screening in SR.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Hayes
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Tom Hayes   Email Tom Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

The opening song/story where JB starts a journey is *awesome*.

And as a non-stoner and someone who doesn't like rock music (more rap and jazz) I think the music works perfectly.

KG starts out as a real jerk, but ends up being real good.

"Lee" makes an appearance too.

The kid that played JB had the act DOWN PAT.

The sound was LOUD and good for the movie, but the previews had me holding my ears in pain. If you are projecting this film leave the previews at a normal level and then CRANK the volume for the movie.

About listers:
I don't think Tim Robbins (A lister) is a C lister, nor: Ben Stiller (B lister), David Grohl (A list rocker, Devil), Neil Hamburger (F lister, but on purpose), and John C. Reily (A+ Lister, Bigfoot), plus John K. (REn and Stimpy A lister) did the opening THC sequence.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the first movie to have a 5.1 surround fart?

Regradless it was fantastic.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I can't stand Jack Black...will I like it? That guy overacts EVERYTHING and gets on my nerves. It looks good, but if I have to sit through and hour and a half of Jack Black overacting, I think I'd hang myself.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-24-2006 09:52 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let me get this right... You are going to "hang" yourself because jack black "overacts"... hmmm.... sounds like overacting envy! [evil]

Ciao

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 05:04 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much of a Jack Black fan or a Tenacious D fan, but I liked it. I thought it was pretty funny.

I saw this at Cinemark 17 in Dallas. The presentation was perfect, which is surprising for Cinemark. I though it was kinda funny when I went to the box office and bought two tickets (for me and my girl), they asked both us to show our IDs. I'm 21 and she's 22. I see R-rated movies all the time. The last time anyone asked for my ID was like 4 years ago! The girl working box office was like, "Man, ya'll look so young." I don't think I look like I'm 16! Anyway, I just thought it was kinda funny.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 11:53 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tenacious D fan for a while now. This was a great funny movie. Kept me entertained throughout and debating an a second viewimg on Thursday

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: