Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » For Your Consideration

Author Topic: For Your Consideration
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good, but it sets its character-base too broad to be the kind of effective comedy that Guest has previously showcased.

I do hope "chillaxin" takes the nation by storm [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-22-2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn. [sleep]

I loved some of Guest's earlier films (Spinal Tap, Guffman, and Best in Show are all great), but this one was just dull. I can't really recommend it like I can the other three.

Still, it has its moments and might be worth seeing if one is bored.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-29-2006 05:04 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely fell flat, considering its predecessors. It had some great moments, but the plot of this one didn't allow many of those classic, improv, let's be funny for the funny, type of moments. Considering the deleted scenes and stuff on the other movies' DVDs, this one probably has an alternate version of the whole film, with plenty of good bits that just had to be cut for the sake of the story.

But as it's currently edited, the good parts were in the trailer, in terms of laughs. It's a good film, but it leaves you wanting to go home to watch Waiting For Guffman again.

Parker Posey has to wear glasses, from now on, always, in everything she does. It should be a law. [thumbsup]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very, very disappointing. Not really very funny. Some moderately interesting characters, but too many people just come and go. And, the ending was obvious from the start.

Too much situation and too little character. Guest's character is almost unseen! And this is the weakest performance by Fred Willard of any of the Guest films. (I don't think he will ever top the amazing performance of BEST IN SHOW.)

I did like Jane Lynch's "Mary Hart" clone, and Parker Posey was quite good.

I give it a C-, and will try to just forget this mess when I think of Christopher Guest.

If this is the good stuff, the things they didn't use must be just dreadful.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-30-2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my point wasn't that the stuff they cut was bad. There was probably tons of funny stuff that they needed to cut in order to make it a cohesive 90-minute story. At least, that's what I'm going to remain hopeful about, so this film doesn't leave me with such a bad aftertaste. I don't want to hate it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: