Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mystic India (IMAX)

Author Topic: Mystic India (IMAX)
John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2006 08:14 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 out of 5 [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Cool] [Cool] [beer]

I first saw the preview trailer for this while I was in Singapore last year at the Omnimax Theatre and I was pretty impressed.

No Dome screens here in Melbourne (I think there was one in Perth) but it's just as impressive on 8 storey high screen at Imax Melbourne.

The story is the journey of one young 11-year old Neelkanth who dreams of being a Yogi (no not the bear kind) and takes off on his own on a 7 year barefoot trek that will cover 8,000 miles through much of India.

Unfortunately the 40 mins running time is not enough to cover Neelkanth's journey in the detail it deserves but the visuals are stunning and to me it's the best IMAX 15/70 photographed film I have seen. The sequences of the different festivals and monuments are just breathtaking. Added with the brilliant sound that Imax has, I had the goose bumps/hair raising feeling.

The narration is voiced by Peter O'Toole who sounds a little restless most of the time. Yes I know he is old.

Sadly the illumination of screen was not even. It was very bright in the center but top-bottom and far edges were on the dull side. It has not been this bad in the past.
But the quality of the image really was something. Nothing else comes close and it's sad that conventional Cinema is going backwards with D-Cinema. I hope Imax stick with 15/70.
This is the way all movies should look (in terms of image quality) no matter what style they use.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: