Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Borat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Borat
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He, he. Not going to say any more in case I get banned! US of A, he, he!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [uhoh]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-04-2006 08:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Borat calls this country "U. S. and A."

He was hilarious on Letterman the other night. I bet we don't play this, but I'd like to see it.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2006 09:20 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a $9 million Friday at 800 location you might end up playing it.

Couple of friends of mine saw the 'Black Carpet' screening in Minneapolis a few weeks ago, couldn't stop talking about it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2006 10:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 11/04/2006, Cinemark 17 in Springfield, House #16, SR-D. Sold-out show in their largest house and the only screen in the area showing this. The image was bouncing up and down way too much. Sounded great.

Funniest movie of all time? Hardly. But very very funny. Not a minute longer than it needs to be. Unfortunately, it seemed like the first 15 minutes or so had all been shown in previews and other clips, so didn't have the impact it might have if it were fresh. The wrestling scene is hysterical though. Heh. [puke] Can't help wondering how much of the movie was staged vs. improv.

I'll give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. [beer]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was [sleep] on SNL last week. Hopefully the movie is better and not the same old "I like sex" schtick.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HBO is running a marathon of both seasons beginning Monday. With the per screen average Borat is doing, I can only hope they expand it quickly. People that enjoyed Friends need not view.

Mike - Is it possible that SNL has become less funny than a Bazooka Joe comic and nobody can do a good show on it anymore? I did not see the episode you refer to, but it seems like it has been years since someone has started a conversation with, "Man, did you watch SNL last night?"

Tom Hayes
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Tom Hayes   Email Tom Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Mike - Is it possible that SNL has become less funny than a Bazooka Joe comic and nobody can do a good show on it anymore?

I saw that performance also and agree it was not his best work. The problem with Borat is that STAGED performances from him are not nearly as funny as when he interacts with people who are not in on the joke.

I saw Borat in San Diego at 11:30am on Friday and the house was 75% filled. I don't think I've seen a matinee that full in a long, long time.

As for SNL not being funny, well I doubt almost anyone could change that.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh ok cool, I'll check out the film for sure then. Yeah SNL has been seriously unfunny the past 2 seasons. I dont even watch it past the first few sketches anymore

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-05-2006 03:56 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Borat's at a $31,000 per screen average! Holy crap. That's a serious hit.

I'll bet Mr. Murdoch will be having whoever made the revised decision at Fox to go limited week one in for a nice cup of tea and a kick up the ass.

Can't wait to see it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-05-2006 08:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too early to knock Fox's release strategy. Next weekend's numbers may be through the roof if word of mouth holds up (which it probably will). I know people who have already seen it multiple times. I will probably go again myself.

See Borat with an enthusiastic crowd if you can.

This thread is a duplicate. ?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 10:43 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
U.A, Midway Theatre,Forest Hills, NYC, Screen #9, 8PM 11/09/06
Arrived 7:30 to find auditorium lights blinding bright and filmed adverts projecting off-center, about 18" onto right masking. Went downstairs and asked employee to have it corrected. He agreed, but it remained the same for another half hour, followed at 8 PM by 15 minutes of trailers with same defect. Trailers all with ear-splitting explosions with maddening extremes of pitch. Thankfully, feature was correctly framed, clean, sharp and bright.

"Borat" was a fun satirical romp despite some scatalogical humor.
Borat's village, my wife noted, was filmed in a Romanian Gypsey village, and she heard some characters cursing in Romanian.
I found the (Pentacostal?)church scenes hillarious, but wondered how they might be received by some audiences.

Today's news reported that the Russian authorities have forbidden
the film entry to Russia, fearing it might offend ethnic and religious viewers. But I found Cohen's treatment of bigotry and intolerance to be a healthy form of satirical humor.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2006 05:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie wasn't nearly as bad as the trailers make it out to be. I will put out a serious warning...eat lots of Mexican food before the show. LOTS! Lots and lots of beans or whatever it is that makes you go poop so you will have to go to the restroom in reel 4...so you can avoid the extremely long and incredibly nasty naked wrestling scene. [puke]

Other than those terribly disturbing images, 3 out of 5.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-10-2006 05:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
so you can avoid the extremely long and incredibly nasty naked wrestling scene
I hadn't planned to watch that movie, but that makes me really curious now!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 09:11 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastically awkward comedy + blatant chauvinism to catch Americans off guard + extended nude chase scene + marraige proposal to Pa-mela Anderson + Chicken = Like much [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: