Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Saw III (2006) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saw III (2006)
Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it! Perhaps the best of the trilogy! Plenty of gore and violence, and a few plot twists along the way. I like how they wrapped up all three films by showing flashbacks of how they set up the first movie and stuff like that. I ususally can handle blood and gore, but the scene where the woman is giving that old guy brain surgery kinda made me squeamish. Great movie! I would recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies! [thumbsup]

By the way, I saw Saw III (How's that for a tongue twister?) at the new Starplex theatre in Forney, TX. Tickets are only $4.00! As far as the presentation goes, there were a couple problems. It started out-of-frame, but the projectionist quickly fixed it. I guess they don't know how to preframe. I oughta slap whoever built up that print, because they had pops in the soundtrack between every trailer. Also, I don't know if it's company policy or not, but instead of putting the first cue at the beginning of the feature, they put it at the beginning of the attached trailer. I guess they didn't put the second cue at the beginning of the credits, because the lights didn't come up when the credits started to roll. Other than that, everything else (presentation wise) was okay throughout the movie.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How on earth did this EVER get an R rating. It really should have been NC-17. Overall the most disgusting thing i have ever witnessed. Would make a great training film for a mass murder seminar. [puke]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-30-2006 03:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was crap. It only caters to the kids who like extreme gore and stupid "flash" type editing. Also the ending was pathetically predictable WAY ahead of time. When the last reel finally hits, the ending is so overblown I kept thinking of Brad Pitt doing that crying/overacting line "awwww come on, what's in the box? What's in the box? Waaaaaahhhh!"

Lame-O-rama!
1 out of 5 stars

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet, but that review doesn't give me much hope. Some of the gizmos used to kill people looked pretty cool this time. I was looking forward to seeing it.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it interesting, but not a film that I would watch a second time. Lots of gore, both visual and audible. Brad is right about the crappy quick editing, it was getting old ten minutes into the movie. What did they cut out to get this film an R rating??? Possibly, the dental scenes from the poster??? This film is geared towards degenerates. I was amazed at the amount of little kids 10-15 year olds that "tried" to get into this opening weekend shows. What kind of a moron would take their 12 year old to see this shit??? I actually refused to sell one mother a ticket for herself and her two toddlers. And her kids kept telling me that they saw the first two Saw films. Saw III makes I and II look like a Disney film. What is this world coming to??? [Confused]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appears to be coming to a point where a theater manager feels he has the right to force his moral standards on his adult customers.

I can understand if she was trying to buy a ticket for the kids and not watch it with them, but if she is going to accompany the kids then that is her business, not your's or anyone else's. How sad.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-30-2006 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'll get flamed for this, and I really don't care. But what's sad is that Don had more parenting sense than the children's own mother. At least someone is looking out for their well being.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Anderson
I actually refused to sell one mother a ticket for herself and her two toddlers.
We have a policy against anyone under 6 going to a R rated movie, if you have the same policy, fine, but to flat out tell a person that your not going to sell them a ticket could get YOU into a lot of trouble unless you own the theater...and even then. Its pretty bad PR.

quote: Mark J. Marshall
But what's sad is that Don had more parenting sense than the children's own mother
For his own kids fine, but to "parent" someone elses along with the parent itself? All I can say is WOW.

I know were off topic here, so I'll stop at that...but...WOW.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-31-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or good PR, depending on how you look at it. I know lots of people who would make Don's theater their permanent movie going venue upon hearing that story.

As to the movie, I didn't care for the first one at all. I thought the acting was horrible, the story was mildly clever, but the violence over shadowed the cleverness. I only saw parts of the second one, and didn't care for it either. This one is just more of the same. More ridiculous. More mindless violence. Nothing intelligent. Nothing stimulating. Nothing entertaining. We've seen it all before. This movie franchise isn't quite as culturally worthless as the Jackass franchise. But it's pretty close.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2006 04:28 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Anderson
I actually refused to sell one mother a ticket for herself and her two toddlers.
You can go to hell. If I came in with two kids and asked for tickets to a rated R movie, and you denied me becuase of your own beliefs, I would sue you for discrimination. Unless your posted policy did not allow children under a certain age into R rated films, and you enforced it across the board, you have no right to deny me the chance to watch any film.

Sure, I enjoy going to a film and not being bothered by kids that can't sit still or be quiet. Then make the age restriction across the board, and be done with it. But if you let those same aged kids into any other rated R movie, you are being an asshole and passing judgement on the parent that is trying to watch the film with their kids. If I heard about this happening at a theater in my town, I would never spend another dollar at your business. I can go to church if I want to be preached to...
I, personally, wouldn't take my nephews and neices to watch a rated R film. But who in the holy hell do you think you are to make an arbitrary judgement and tell someone else that they can't take their kids into a legally released film that has passed the censors and was legally allowed to be presented?

Your job is to sell tickets and present shows. If you find the content that repugnant, then don't show it at all. Program something else. When you start preaching to others about what is okay for THEIR kids, you have crossed a line, and I would do everything in my power to put you out of business.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2006 12:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, no more discussion on whether Don was correct or not. Further comments need to be taken into a new thread in the Ground Level forum.

For those of you who have sat through this piece of crap, feel free to write a review here.

Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2006 05:18 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a total piece of crap but close. Lacks the novelty factor of the first one, but it kept me awake unlike the second one which I slept through. So at least it has that going for it. I would've given it two stars but since there will be a part 4 next year I'm only giving it one, saving the second star for the sequel.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that I enjoyed this movie. I know, some of you hated this movie and I respect that. As for me, it was rather enjoyable. Personally, I think Shawnee Smith was great in this movie. I enjoyed all of the Gore as well. This movie was definately worth the time spent watching this film. [evil]

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half-decent amount of gore, but as far as I'm concerned, the movie was crap. I'd already seen about 50% of the movie by watching the first two, which had been rehashed as 'flashbacks', then there was the whole 'recap the entire movie' bit at the end. And to think there'll be a Saw IV too.
I think people should get a discount on the ticket price due to the amount of 'copy and pasting' from each previous movie in the series. [Wink] Anyway, suppose it killed a bit of time at least, and I'm guessing I'll end up watching Saw IV anyway, just to complete the experience. [Roll Eyes]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-20-2006 04:33 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know most of the people reviewing this film, hating this film, not liking this film, and so on... were never going to like it in the first place. Might as well have played a barney movie.

This film was meant for a pretty specific audience, the type of audience that is sick and twisted and totally messed up in the head. The type of people that need serious mental therapy and drugs.

I loved this film!!!

After talking with Exec Prod Oren Koules I feel even better about the next two films and the direction they are going in. He assured me that all the stuff they had to cut to get the R rating will be back in for the DVD, and it is pretty brutal stuff.

I am tired of NOT working in the film industry. I think I will ask him if I can work on the next film. AAAUGH I HATE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Basically this film is for demented psycopaths who have cats and birds for pets instead of children.

Ciao

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: