Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Prestige (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Prestige
Andrea Werft
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Andrea Werft   Email Andrea Werft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised this one is not on here yet....great movie. Not to mention a lot of hotties. Christian Bale for the ladies and of course Scarlett Johansson for the guys. This movie actually doesn't point things out and tell you what is going on like you are an artard like usual hollywood movies. This one makes you think and leaves it to you to figure out! [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 06:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 10/29/2006, 11:45AM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #8. Attendance around 20. Soft image didn't look focused very well.

Good movie, liked it. There's a lot going on, not everything is explained along the way, so ya gotta pay attention. Also the story jumps around all over the timeline. There's some insider stuff about magicians and specific tricks, but the movie is mostly about 2 rival magicians who will stop at nothing to outdo each other.

3.75 out of 5 stars.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was very well thought out, and intelligent. I liked the trailer a lot and thought the story idea was pretty interesting. However, I felt it was just a little too dark. They could have lightened it up just a tad, and it would have been way better I think.

Also, my feelings for the two main characters were all over the place. First one guy was an ass, and I sympathized with the other guy, then it reversed, then eventually you realize that they're both pretty dark characters, and I wasn't left with anyone to root for at all... except maybe the daughter. An intelligent plot, but pretty much a downer of a movie. I left feeling a bit depressed.

And what the hell.... are ALL of the steady cams in Hollywood broken or something? WHY, OH WHY do we have shakey hand held shots in so many scenes? Oh, and speaking of that, I noticed the Deja Vu trailer in front of this movie. It looks like another Tony Scott seizure-cam fest coming up. [puke]

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2006 11:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall I liked this movie, the timeline is a trip, and it kept my attention throughout. I also liked the fact that they introduced some of Tesla's technologies into the plot. overall I'd say 7 out of 10 stars for me.

Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2006 05:23 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well done film, I thoroughly enjoyed it. [thumbsup] Holds up nicely on repeat viewings as you look for things you may have missed the first time through. 3 1/2 stars

Lilian Burch
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Lilian Burch   Email Lilian Burch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this movie. I liked the twists and turns but I guessed 85% of the ending. The filmmaker tries to tie up all the loose ends at the end but still left a few things unexplained or unaccounted. Nevertheless, an enjoyable movie and probably requires another viewing.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-13-2006 06:31 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this movie, and the fact that 99% percent of the audience actually thinks they figured out the movie early on.

Being that this film is about misdirection, I quote from the film "are you looking closely"?

The end was given away five minutes from the start, and the writer and director team intended it that way. They wanted the audience to pay very close attention, so that they can misdirect you with what they hid in plain site.

Think of it this way;

You are given two cups of coffee, and told that one of the cups has poison in it. You must choose which cup does not have poison in it, so that you don't drink the poison.

What you missed is that the coffee was also poisoned while you were paying attention to the cups.

And then again, not all poison is poison to humans.

The entire film was misdirection from the start, intended to make everyone think they figured it out, throwing twists to misdirect you from what they were really doing.

It demands multiple viewings. It is very good.

Ciao

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed seeing this movie locally and had to drive 50 miles to see it. Wish I could see it again tommarow, it was great, but I still am confused. May have to make that 50 mile trip again, just to see what I missed. Thanks for the heads ups!

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-24-2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched this movie on the much-heralded "DVD" format that the world has recently chosen to embrace. I did not lean forward and "watch closely"... instead I watched it like I do with any other movie. The movie wasn't bad, but not really something I'd want to see again. I had a lot of it figured out by the end, but when the credits started to roll (or flash or whatever) I did not feel confused or that I had missed something somewhere. Everything has been explained to me by the movie itself. What was I supposed to miss? The non-linear editing tried to throw me off and the absence of any tripods on the set tried to make me run to the bathroom and vomit so that I would return having missed key parts or something. Cheap.

Would have been better if Tesla had broken out into song. Also, Batman and Wolverine should have had a battle in full costume. With Alfred the butler saying nonsensical things on the sideline like he does in every movie he's in.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a few songs from the Labyrinth that would have been good in this movie.

Yesterday 2/23/2007, 9:45PM, Studio Movie Grill Plano, Chris Hipp's Laptop. Sound format, 2.0 with $8 panasonic headphones. Attendance around 1.

Not bad.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-11-2016 10:29 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 3242 days since the last post.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. - David Bowie (1947-2016)

Your portrayal of Nikola Tesla in this film has always been one of my favorite supporting roles. You completely disappeared into the character so much so that nobody even caught on that it was you until we saw your name in the credits and even then still not believing it until we re-watched the movie.

David Bowie, a true master of his craft whether it be his amazing songwriting and music, or his great acting skills. He will be sorely missed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-11-2016 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anytime an old thread like this comes up it's always fun to go back and see who participated in it. Where are some of these people? Where's Dave Williams? Where's David Stambaugh?

Oh yeah, RIP Mr. Bowie and congratulations on a classy career.

Ari Leedsw
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Ari Leedsw   Email Ari Leedsw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I had NO IDEA, that was Bowie!

This was a GREAT FILM, I'd give it at least 9/10. This is the type of thoughtful, dramatic motion picture sorely lacking today.

Is it just me, or have movies gotten far, far stupider even in ten years?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie gets better with each viewing. Several years ago I decided to acquire this on the much-heralded "Blu-ray" format the world has chosen to ignore in favor of highly compressed streaming delivery. I totally missed that Wolverine was a new Wolverine each time and that he'd also die each time. Batman's story was still the same and Alfred was still a codger who dispenses nothing but good advice. This movie is better than Interstellar and also his dream movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: