Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Borat (2006)

Author Topic: Borat (2006)
Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 01:49 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is movie works best in small doses, but fails as a whole, with an ending that is totally unbelievable. It has as many funny moments as it does unfunny. The audience I was with felt a little uncomfortable about laughing at certain set-ups, as they weren't exactly politically correct, and were wondering if it was ok to laugh. It does have some decent commentary on our societies shortcomings. Its worth seeing once in the theatre, but the jokes will grow old on repeated viewings.
Total Stars: **1/2* 2 1/2 stars out of 5, the half star because of the dinner scene [Wink]

From a technical stand point this film is total garbage: Bad Lighting, Bad Cinematography, Bad Sound, it was just a mess to look at. I know they wanted a very low budget documentary style feel to it, but this didn't even come close to that quality. The whole movie looks as if it were shot using a 1982 VHS camcorder set to SLP with a tape that had been demagnetized, then converted to digital and finally transferred to film for release. [puke]

|  IP: Logged

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to hear they are retaining the political incorrectness that is present in the television show. That's the whole reason I want to see the movie.

As for the bad cinematography, if the movie is anything like the show it is shot all hand-held with low-quality equipment because the people Borat interacts with all think he is filming a news report for his home country. Having quality cameras and stage lighting set up would kind of give it away that the character is an actor... [Wink]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now that Fox has greatly reduced the number of prints being released to around 800, it doesn't look like many of us will have a chance to see it. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2006 01:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THis was one of the few films where the trailer actually drew laughs when it was screened at the convention. Since then the publicity has become kind of tiresome. I took down the poster, doubt we'll play this one unless it is a surprise smash hit.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2006 02:39 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it will be expanding into 2000+ theaters the second weekend. So be prepared to put it back up. I had initially taken it down after hearing the news of the low opening theater count.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2006 04:46 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre, a very slow 8-screen, is booking two prints to siphon some of the crowd from our sister theatre that is getting SC3 and Flushed Away. I am thoroughly excited. [Smile]

Edit: One of the funniest movies I have ever seen in my life. Ridiculously offensive, it literally had me leaning on the seat back in front of me, fighting back tears in certain parts. Had I been watching with a paying audience and drinking a beverage, the poor souls in front of me would have gotten a healthy spraying. Oh my god, I am still reeling from this one...persons with heart conditions should steer well clear of this movie. 5/5 stars for humor, 2/5 for editing (certain sequences are quite obviously edited out of order for no reason that I could discern).

If you have a pulse, you will find this movie funny.

[ 11-02-2006, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Edwin Sheldon ]

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m surprised. I thought this movie is pretty awful, and makes 5 reels feel like 9. Most was just waiting for maybe 2 or 3 good laughs. Maybe I just don't find pissing a bunch people off that funny.

I guess if you really love awkward humor maybe this is your movie. The trailer might get some laughs because its in small douses like someone said, the movie however to me got old and tired within the first couple of minutes. I'm really surprised that its getting such rave reviews for something that I just find pretty pointless asking my self "whats so amazing about that?". More then likely I'm looking at it too much from a technical stand point.

Maybe its better if you see it with a full house.

[ 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: