Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Marine (2006)

Author Topic: The Marine (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-13-2006 02:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am constantly amazed at how STUPID, RETARDED and outright SHITTY movies today are becoming...and this movie is no exception. In fact it sets new standards for suckiness.

This is one of the worst scripts I've seen, with some of the world's worst directing and outright PATHETIC attempt at a movie.

The Marines should be embarassed.

1/2 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first 15 minutes of this movie tonight (after inventory) and I must agree with Brad... (I left after the first 15 minutes...) [thumbsdown] [bs]

An article from the local paper a few days ago

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10/05/news/californian/8_06_0010_4_06.txt

"WWE movie debuts at Camp Pendleton; Marines meet wrestlers at base theater

By: JOE BECK - Staff Writer

CAMP PENDLETON ---- Marines, pro wrestlers and wrestling divas took center stage outside the Camp Pendleton movie theater earlier this week for the world premiere of a Marine-flavored movie.

The crowd of about 1,000 that gathered outside the theater on Tuesday was in a festive mood as prominent figures from World Wrestling Entertainment ---- John Cena, Maria, Candice Michelle, Ric Flair and HHH ---- signed autographs and paraded around the red-carpeted sidewalk in front of them. Children and teenagers from Marine families lined the entrance to the theater sidewalk and broke into chants of "Cena, Cena" as the square-jawed star of the movie arrived and began mingling with them.

"I wanted to meet John Cena, he's the champion," said 9-year-old Christoph Nehlley of San Diego.

"And he was a Marine," said Travis Arrivillaga, 10, who traveled from Los Angeles to attend the movie.

Cena certainly looked the part of a Marine with his crew cut, khaki T-shirt and camouflage pants. But in an interview along the rope line, he said his military experience has been limited to appearing in his role as a pro wrestler before service members in the United States, Iraq and Afghanistan. "The only military background I have is through the WWE," Cena said.

A studio press release from the WWE describes the movie, "The Marine," as "part of an ongoing WWE campaign to support the men and women of the U.S. military."

The movie was filmed in Australia and is rated PG-13 for what its Web site describes as "intense sequences of violent action, sensuality and language." Cena plays a recently discharged Marine who returns home from Iraq and has to rescue his kidnapped wife from a gang of killers.

Cena said most of the military scenes appear in the first five minutes of the movie, and the remainder of the plot involves his rocky return to civilian life. The military had no official role in the making of the movie, but Marine officials did review the script for accuracy, said one person involved in the marketing of the movie. He spoke on the condition that he not be named.

The WWE announced last week that those allowed inside the theater to see the movie ---- service members and their families ---- were scheduled to hear a new public service message from America Supports You, a nationwide program organized by the Department of Defense to highlight Americans' support for members of the military and their families.

Cena said there were big differences between acting on a set and wrestling in a ring. Movie locations are closed off and limited to a few actors performing before a camera. "You don't have the chaos and excitement like this to help you out," he said, referring to the din from the crowd along the rope line.

Kelly Carlson, who plays Cena's wife in the movie, said part of the plot deals with his character's struggles with the psychological aftermath of combat. She said her role marks a departure from others she has played. "It's the first time I play a nice person," she said.

HHH said he hoped "The Marine" would bring new popularity for Cena and other WWE wrestlers.

"You look at movies now, there aren't a lot of action stars, not a lot of believable action stars," he said. "We are the action stars."

The movie will be released to the public Oct. 13."

I hope Clint does a better job next weekend!

E

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2006 11:54 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I liked it. Is it gonna win any oscars? No. Did it keep me entertained for 2 hours? Yeah, it did. This movie has a shitload of action and hot girls. What more could you ask for? It´s just a dumb popcorn movie. I, myself, am a big wrestling fan, but I saw this movie with one of my buddies who does not watch wrestling and could care less about John Cena. Even he loved this movie. He thought it was a badass movie. It´s better than Kane´s movie, and it was better than The Grudge 2. Now, I can´t wait to see the next WWE movie, ¨The Condemned¨ starring Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Translation of the previous post:

"Its not fake! John Cena was a real Marine! Wrestling is real!"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-16-2006 03:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Pro Wrestling" (or "rastlin'" as some who speak in a twangy drawl would call it) always struck me as looking a little strange. You have huge and often fat guys wearing only boots and panties slapping the hell out of each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the "burly bears" starting kissing the next minute.
[Big Grin]

My father, a retired Marine, has one word for this movie just from seeing the trailer: bullshit.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Translation of the previous post:

"Its not fake! John Cena was a real Marine! Wrestling is real!"

Yeah, Chris, you´re just jealous that you´re not as buff as John Cena. At least I´m not in love with Will Ferrell!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2006 09:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Jason, does that mean you're in love with John Cena, or perhaps fat middle aged men wearing nothing but panties and boots slapping the hell out of each other?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Winn
Now, I can´t wait to see the next WWE movie, ¨The Condemned¨ starring Stone Cold Steve Austin.
But is he truly "stone cold", though? This must be determined. If he is even lukewarm I would be majorly disappointed. Remember when Jessie "The Body" Ventura was in that Predator movie? And The Adorable Adrian Adonnis was in The Birdcage? Pure awesomeness.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh was this film bad. So much Coke and Miller product placement that I totally lost my thirst. Lots of stupid lines, such as......"Country ass crackers cravin some man love". Watch as "THE MARINE" is running around the woods and comes across a "raised" footprint on the ground! Huh??? Ever see a footprint thats raised off the ground. I thought that a footprint sunk into the ground????? Watch for the "TERMINATOR" jokes too! STay at home and watch a rerun of I Love Lucy, its better than this piece of [bs]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 02:12 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when Top Gun was sponsored by the Navy and it kicked all sorts of ass and made you want to fly jets and then you went back and watched it again years later after you had grown up and you realized that it was really pretty lame? I think the same could be said for The Marine.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Marine and I was insulted after wasting time of my life to see it. [Mad]

WWE if you want to tribute the military don't piss on us with this half ass shit.

[thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it and don't plan to after watching the trailer online. It's stupid, dumb, lame, Well, the only way to make this watcheble I think is make sure your drunk...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: