Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Guardian, The (2006)

Author Topic: Guardian, The (2006)
Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 04:07 PM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the chance to quality check the digital print last night and I must say that I enjoyed this film much more than I anticipated as I absoutley hate Ashton Kutcher with a passion.

The film does a very good job in showing what the men and women of the U.S Coast Guard do on a daily basis, as well as the intense training rescue swimmers must endure, before going out in insane weather conditions to save lives.
That being said once the action moves away from the training and resuces and moves into the story aspects of the film it doesn't tread any new ground with the whole film coming to a halt every time Ashton is on screen by himself. Luckily somebody noticed Ashton can't act and kept his screen time to minimal amounts.

Begin Rant:
My one main gripe of the film is it felt like one giant passing of the torch ceremony. Costner is getting older and the studios need a new fresh young face to fill his shoes and some cluless studio nit-wit has decided that person is Ashton Kutcher [puke]
End Rant.

See the film if you want to learn a little but more about the Coast Guard, but don't expect anything new in regards to story or plot development.

So a big [thumbsup] to the brave men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard who, thanks to this film, I have an even bigger appreciation for.

A big [thumbsdown] to whoever decided that Ashton Kutcher is the next Kevin Costner

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From about 10 minutes into the film it felt like I had seen this film about a hundred times before with every scene feeling as if it was taken directly from some other better film.
I haven't seen the movie, but from the trailer it sure does seem like a Tom Cruise classic military movie. I wouldnt be surprised if I heard the line "the plaque for the alternates is down the hall in the ladie's room."

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 07:59 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was like watching Ladder 49 meets Top Gun. Cheap CGI effects, corny music, and a runtime that could have been easily edited down by 20-30 minutes. I lost interest 30 minutes into the film. I must say that the print was extremely sharp. [thumbsdown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2006 12:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie had it's good points and it's bad points. It dragged in a few parts and was interesting in others. Overall it just seemed too reminiscent of that shitty movie Top Gun twisted around a little bit for the Coast Guard. I predicted the ending a few reels before it hit. So pathetic.

Ashton Kutcher still cannot act.

3 out of 5 stars with plenty of opportunities for a restroom break...so go ahead and get the better value at the concession stand, "it's just a quarter more!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: