Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » School for Scoundrels

Author Topic: School for Scoundrels
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent movie. Probably would have been much better as an R-rated movie, but still great.

|  IP: Logged

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeed, I saw the Sneak Preview they were giving. It was pretty good, but I expected more from "The Director of Old School." I'm sure the studio execs told the director to tone it down because they wanted to attract some of the Napoleon Dynamite fans. I found something funny, Jacinda Barrett has pretty much always talked with an American accent in her movies that it's funny to hear her talk with her Australian accent.

Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say I had high hopes going into this film as I am a fan of Billy Bob's nasty sarcastic characters, but I came away disapointed [Frown] . From about 10 minutes into the film it felt like I had seen this film about a hundred times before with every scene feeling as if it was taken directly from some other better film.
This is one of those films were the trailer is funnier than the actual film, had they went with the 'R' rating and let some of the joke/skits go that little bit farther it probably could have saved the film for me. Billy Bob was Billy Bob ala Bad Santa but cleaner, Heder was, well Napolean with a slightly better vocabulary and wardrobe.
This is one of those cases where they shaft the theatres with the sub-standard PG-13 version just so they can turn around 3 months later and release the un-rated DVD for the big cash. [thumbsdown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-17-2006 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The first 2 reels really drones on. Only in reel 3 does it start to pick up and it actually becomes interesting in reel 4. Unfortunately the end payoff isn't worth the wait.

I should've known better than to watch a film that was recommended by someone who liked Anchorman!

2 out of 5 stars

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally pointless and predictable. I think I laughed out loud once. Yet another movie where whatshisface can't seem to be any different than he was in the Napoleon Dynamite role. One out of five stars.

Saw it at the Wallace Hollywood in Mobile, AL. Dirty splices. A LOT of flicker. All the greenbands were removed from the trailers. The auditorium was clean and was checked regularly. The ticketing employees were friendly and professional. 3/5 stars.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 01:32 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, for someone to truly appreciate this movie one needs to read the www.sosuave.net forums. Anyone that listens to Jason Winn's favorite radio show Tom Leykis will also like it. As I said before though, it would have made a great R rated movie.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2006 11:16 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Leykis should sue Billy Bob Thornton and anyone responsible for the making of this movie. They completely stole the idea from Leykis. I havenŽt seen it yet, but judging from the trailer, it looks like Napolean Dynamite meets Bad Santa. I think IŽll wait for the DVD.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2006 03:28 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if Jon Heder was going to try to break off of his dorky typecast formd during Napoleon and extended with Benchwarmers . Now I see that he should embrace it and make as much money as quickly as he can. He was not believable as a matured, confident man. The ending of this movie really fell apart for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: