Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Flyboys (2006)

Author Topic: Flyboys (2006)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-23-2006 08:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wanted this to be good, but it was just mediocre. I should have known that a PG-13-rated war movie wouldn't be worthwhile. The CGI was good, but the story and acting weren't so great.

If you want to see some great WWI aerial battles (non-CGI!) with a lousy love story on the side, I can recommend "Hell's Angels." It is really not a very good film, but the aerial battles are amazing.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2006 08:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Scott. Most of the missions in the film we played on the old DOS versions of Red Baron and War Eagles. The quest for a great World War I film from our own time still continues.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2006 12:34 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the one with Tab Hunter (Lafayette Escadrille) in 1958 was way better than this one. "FLYBOYS" was way too long (could have been edited down to a 95 minute movie) to bring an obvious ending.

Only thing interesting about this film was that the characters who played in this movie actually portrayed the real pilots that flew in the Escradrille, only the names where changed. The only real name was Captain Thenault - played by Jean Reno.

There was alot of factual errors in this film in which I caught right off (being an avaiton buff..) airplanes that didn't exist during this time, wrong engines used, airplane markings didn't agree with the time..et.al. ..

Once again, from the Lion's Den comes a weak movie ..

(makes you wonder if Rocky Balboa will do justice for the studio..?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: