Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Children of Men 2006 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Children of Men 2006
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the subject matter and the level of violence and swearing I doubt if the US will get this in its origianl form (look what you did to The Whicker Man!).

(political comment deleted)

The thread of the film is believable but it is in the whole background that the film is set that makes the difference, I can see it happening now in the UK (and no I'm not a pinko- I'm a Tory!). I do hope you get the real film because, your distributors, are making twats out of you all!
Look at how many British films have been watered down by your govermants lack of spine!

[ 09-21-2006, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-22-2006 04:06 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Gorka,

What the hell are you talking about? Our governments lack of spine? Seems to go right against your other statement of the distributors being at fault. Regardless, if you think that our government has something to do with films getting cut down for content or just not shown at all, just shows that you have no idea what OUR country is all about over here.

You really should thoroughly just stop and think a moment and then research your opinion to see if it can hold water or not.

Our government does not censor movies. Movie theaters in America have wide lattitude to show whatever the hell they want, to ANYONE THEY WANT.

While it is possible that many a film have been butchered because of content, this has absolutely nothing to do with our government... PERIOD!!! It has all to do with marketability and profit margins.

You might have looked into this country's history before looking like a dork-o-matic. [Eek!] It was founded by puritans, and has always had a very conservative streak that has prevented films arriving in one piece. Once again, not the fault of any government we have here.

The US does have the FCC that monitors open air broadcasts of radio and television to make sure that the content being shown is in line with current societal expectations. There are some opportunities to push the envelope during later hours, which leads to futher softening of overall rules of monitoring and fines. This is the government you speak of, but has nothing to do with movies... PERIOD!!!

The MPAA (our ratings board) is not run by the government. It is a private entity to provide guidance to audiences as to general content. Theaters are under no obligation to enforce MPAA suggestions. That is left to parents... PERIOD!!!

So take your suppositions about american government and conspiracies of censorship and shove them up Tony Blair's crankhole... [evil]

Awwww... im just razzin ya, ya goof!!! [Razz] I didn't really mean that about dork-o-matic, but it was cool! I am going to use that at work tomorrow.

Ciao [beer]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 09-22-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Gorka: I had heard that Brits were literate. In your case I was obviously mistaken. You might try the "Spell Check" function as it even allows fools like us to appear partially educated. [Roll Eyes]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the words of the great comic Dat Phan:

"Wut da hell?"

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok then, distibutors lack of spine! Sorry, I'm not anti-American just get pissed off with the dire remakes when there is so much good material out there. I don't use the spell check 'cos it takes too long!
I also like to wave the flag for us Brits now and again who do not follow our goverment like sheep!

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 05:03 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else have anything to say about the actual film? I am a big fan of Cuaron's work and I am eager to see this movie.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-03-2006 09:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I will agree I am tired of this country and its inherent lack of willingness to meet art half way.

As for the film, I have not seen it, however I have had some interest, but when I saw the preview, well my mind shifted a bit.

The preview was constructed very poorly and did not play the film as being entertaining at all in any way. I will wait until I can netflix the thing and then make up my mind.

Ciao

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2006 05:31 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame no one has said anything usefull about this movie here. Children of Men is really a very good movie. It shows a rather depressing view of the nearby future with good storytelling supporting it. Drama, action and shockeffects. The film has impact and I recommend it to anyone interested in seeing a film with a serious subject. It is a well made film.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-02-2007 09:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Patrick said. I didn't think of it as being political--it's just a well-made film. Recommended.

(Currently in limited release in the US.)

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 09:57 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to catch an early screening of this movie and I thought it started off slow, but picked up rather nicely. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I guess it just makes you assume what will happen next.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We open it this Friday, and it's the only film I am looking forward to until "300" comes out in March. It sounds original, has a great cast, and has a director I respect. 3 things you don't find in a typical January movie.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 08:26 PM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie...well worth the HOUR DRIVE to the nearest theatre showing it after its "expanded" release. I should have predicted this situation when I moved back to the South. [puke]

Speaking of [puke] , the fine folks at The Grand 18 in D'Iberville, MS should learn how to make clean splices. And the vertical jitter managed to make the shaky-cam shots of the movie feel like a roller-coaster ride.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best movies i've seen in over a year. Totally entertaining and never boring...yet also a realistic warning of what could happen 20 years down the road... a must see!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...yet also a realistic warning of what could happen 20 years down the road... a must see!

TWELVE posts on this film in this thread, and the above is the only hint of the content of this film!

C'mon, guys, can't we do better than that?
Is it not possible to say more within the limitations of this website's guidelines?

My wife's grandniece is seeing the film at this minute, and she's promised to tell me about it when she returns. She tried to see it twice before, but it was sold out. The young lady sees almost a film per night, which I don't discourage, since her grandfather was a famous director (in her country) and I think she may have inherited some of his love of film expression.
Having recently attained a degree in international economics, she may want to enter the business side of film production someday.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 10:25 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick de Groot had a comment about the films contents above, certainly no more descriptive than Pauls though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: