Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hollywoodland

Author Topic: Hollywoodland
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2006 08:10 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good movie. Not a great movie or even an excellent movie. Just a good movie.

I think the problem is the script/direction. Some movies do a good job of moving from the past to the present...this isn't one of them. The only clue as to what time you are in is if George Reeves (Afleck) is there. Also, some of the key dialog is a bit hard to understand.

Performances are good. Afleck makes an excellent Superman, although, at times, when he is "acting" as Reeves, he sounds remarkably like Trey Parker on SOUTH PARK. Diane Lane is normally a real beauty, but she just looks old and a bit tired here. And, we don't see enough of Bob Hoskins.

Wife and I agreed that it is a solid B- film. Entertaining, and worth seeing (especially at that lovely $4 first show on weekends...thanks AMC), but one that will likely be forgotten soon after viewing.

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 03:05 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it tonight 10:20 show at Harkins Superstition Springs 25 theatre 15.

Predictable and BIG YAWN!

Bulb in desperate need of changing. And no in-house personnel capable of bulb change! They needed to put in a work order with their area tech.

Top shadow bottom overshoot

Dirty (stained) screen

Theatre was not cleaned between shows

Same trailer shown twice...once during intermission and once in trailer pack

Sound was crisp and good...lots of noticable detail

Recieved readmittance pass

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-17-2006 06:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 9/17/2006, 11:40AM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #8. Attendance around 10 or so. No presentation complaints, looked and sounded good.

Maybe not great, but a pretty good Hollywood crime drama. Held my interest all the way through. Ben Affleck tried hard and for once he didn't suck. Can't help wondering how much of this story is speculation and how much is fact. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to dig into it.

3 out of 5 stars.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 08:58 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very sad movie. I wish they would have gotten an actor that looked more like George Reeves (the glasses helped a bit).

I was the age of those kids in the grandstand when the original series was out.

Between Zorro and Superman, we all had capes in my neighborhood

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic, but seasons 1-4 of the Superman TV series is available on DVD now with seasons 5&6 being released soon. George Reeves died on the verge of the 7th season. They are still fun to watch

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-23-2006 08:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep]

Yawn. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good, either. If you are really bored and don't have to pay to see it, it can be a nice diversion for two hours.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: