Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Talladega Nights (2006) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Talladega Nights (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-03-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet Jesus WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT!

The ONLY thing humorous at all about this movie is the overly bloated advertising campaigns, ala the scene during a car crash where they cut away for a commercial break for Applebee's only to return to the car crash still in progress.

1/2 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'm with you on that one. Not funny at all.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2006 08:33 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Ferrell & John C. Riley are sure out there promoting this thing. Ferrell is on just about every TV show out there. Even the local radio stations had interviews with people in the film. It should have a big first weekend, then die out fast.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie, I have nothing else to say.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2006 03:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, just because you want to have Will Ferrell's baby doesn't mean the movie was good. [uhoh]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 01:45 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cougar was funny. "Help me Tom Cruise" was funny.

3 out of 5 cougars for this one.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 02:46 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one was a turd. I'm sorry, I had high hopes, I like Will Ferral, but this one dragged on too long and the funny moments were too few. Yes, it had its moments, the cougar, etc, but there just weren't enough.

2 out of 5

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-05-2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you dont chew Big Red Gum, fuck you.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two words - "Fig Newtons"

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Sweet Jesus
I lay claim to that comment as a trademark statement...

LOL.. That said.. I haven't SEEN the film, but if I see that fucking Sprint/Nextel commercial again with his stupid ass screaming... I'm gonna 'splode.

Why would anyone punish themselves to endure this movie? Then again, it pisses me off that they seem to be making such a joke/mockery out of NASCAR fans, which were originally good ol' southern folks such as myself...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-08-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting better reviews than I expected. Entertainment Weekly gave it a B+, I expected a D-.

And that debut, well you can't argue with that. 2nd weekend will tell the tale if people are actually liking it.

We're planning to play this 8/18 so I'll post more of a review when I've seen it.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2006 08:26 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is yet to be released here , but we have it comming , had a look at the trailer and OMG I do believe Brad may be correct with his score on this one. Will Ferrell at his worst!

Think we will chuck this one on the Date Movie pile!

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2006 10:47 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't great, it was a little too long but it was funny in parts and somewhat entertaining. My expectations were low going in.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-18-2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checked out Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby last night.

I laughed at a good number of scenes in the early parts of the movie. The argument over the prayer at the dinner table was really good, with the two kids stealing the scene. The boys steal other scenes as well. Lines like "I may be only 10 but I'll still beat your ass" and "I'll come at you like a spider monkey" had me rolling.

The movie ran out of gas after Ricky Bobby had his car wreck and mental meltdown. Didn't laugh much at all for long stretches of time, even on the scene with the cougar. The father character played by Gary Cole had some humourous moments (such as the career day scene early in the film), but overall I didn't think his story arc made much sense.

What's with the different edit on the driving blindfolded scene? The trailer had completely different camera angles, including one in the house where the car crashed. The movie just shows a distant shot with no cuts. Some other jokes in the trailer were left out of the movie, such as:
"When I say peanut butter, you say..."
"Ladies!"
"No. Jelly."
"You wanna put jelly on a lady?"

I guess that thing and some other stuff will be put in a bloated "unrated" version when the DVD is released.

Some of the racing stuff was pretty cool. Lots of car-by stuff happening in the surrounds. Good car wrecks. I wonder if a bunch of it was actually CGI -especially the angles where it looks like the crashing cars were taking out cameras.

Overall: 2.25 stars. Might be worth watching once, but it sure won't stand up to repeat viewings on DVD. The movie isn't in the same league as other more successful comedies like The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-18-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were at the Rocky Mountain Theatre Convention during the week and caught this movie during some spare time.

Some pretty funny parts, but overall I was sort of bored with it. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5. The Applebee's bit was a hoot.

As with lots of comedies, there were too many of the best funny bits in the trailers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: