Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Miami Vice (2006)

Author Topic: Miami Vice (2006)
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, if you liked the T.V. show you may like this movie because it is basically a drawn out version of the show with a lot more violence and profanity. I must say that I enjoyed the action sequences and the performances were good. But the plot was just a mish mash worn out subject. I would have enjoyed this movie even more if it hadn't have been for the drunk camera men they used on this production. Anyone with motion sickness should avoid this movie because they will [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] all over the place. Have they stopped making steady cam devices?

I give this one 2 1/2 stars out of four

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 7/30/2006, 11:30AM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #3, 35mm film, some kind of digital sound. Maybe 25 people there. The presentation of the feature was pretty much excellent, no complaints. Image quality on this screen was as usual very sharp, bright etc.

Miami Vice was "filmed" in HD, no? Well, the line to shoot me in the head forms to the left, but I liked the look of it. It was obviously shot on video, and I'm sure they got the look they wanted. Dimly-lit shots were very grainy. Bright outdoors shots were often very sharp and detailed and with excellent color. Other scenes were in-between. Pasty fleshtones sometimes. It all seems appropriate for this particular movie.

I was never a huge fan of Miami Vice, but I kind of liked it. Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx are slightly miscast as Crockett and Tubbs though. Something about them just doesn't quite work. Everyone else is very good. If you try to explain the plot to someone, it will sound like a tired retread, but there are some twists and turns along the way to make it semi-fresh.

That trailer blowed up REAL good. [thumbsup]

The handheld camera work didn't even register with me, so it can't be all THAT bad, nothing like United 93 bad.

3 out of 5 stars from me.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would have to say that it does have some neat action and the speed boats were really awesome. Of course, the gun fights were awesome. The women brought a nice touch to the movie.

Anyway, I saw the movie in Theatre #4, in Dolby SR. The SDDS Unit was turned off. But, the sound was really clear and was loud enough. The picture clairity was excellent, just the way I like it. [Big Grin]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just previewed this, it's very slick. An entertaining film, not very deep or amazingly directed but good anyway. Was suprised Colin Farrell managed to act for once and Gong Li was good in her role. Can't believe how long it is though.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5, probably on the generous side as I watched it at 10.30pm usually more ready to accept stuff in a film later at night.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coliseum 12
Ottawa, ON
7:10pm show on a Monday
about 80 people
Cinema 7

Not to bad a flick but I was expecting more. You have the cool boats and cars but no boat chase or car chase in a cop film? Not to sure about the use of HD either, did it really help the look? It was sure grainy like a hi-8 camera. It wasn't a cost saving move as they tested the cameras for like 3 months before the shoot. 500ASA Film or 800 could have given better results. Man all Colin Ferrel does these days is stand around brooding... plus two shower scences in the flick with no nudity, why bother

The presentation was good, the screen was massive, but at the first 4 change overs the screen cut to black and the sound dropped out? did the projectionist splice on the black of the leaders? the film was plattered, I'm sure the film will run its whole run at that theatre like that.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-04-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm print, screened at DGA #1 in Hollywood. (8/2)

Nothing to recommend here...

lazy, bad-looking videography
borderline cast, looking their worst
bad sound recording, editing and mixing
instantly forgettable music
boring storyline

oh yeah...and NONE of the elements that made "Miami Vice" what it was...

yuck [puke]

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 02:19 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give this movie 1 stars out of five only for Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrel.

This movie was very uninteresting and boring..

Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrel are good actors but all about this movie, specialy the plot/story line put me to sleep [sleep]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 08-18-2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this one with Joe...

And this movie was so boring that we walked out of it. Although Jamie Foxx was kinda hot in it. But still not worth it. I think if they just played the TV show version I'd probably stay and watch. Good thing the tickets were free. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-19-2006 12:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pointless theater review:
Yeah I saw this one... for free. We saw it at the shithole called AMC Flatirons Crossing 14 or some such nonsense. What a crappy theater... worst AMC in town. I hadn't been there before so that's why we went there. Anyway at about 5 minutes after the show was supposed to start, I looked back and noticed the movie hadn't even been threaded and the work lights by the projector weren't even on. I went out to find some sort of employee and eventually did. I told him to call up to the booth and tell them to thread and start #3. He pulled out his walkie and looked like I was speaking in hieroglyphics or something (if that were actually possible). Back in the auditorium the looping AMC video was running it's screensaver and maybe 2 minutes later they started threading. Little did I know that the projectionist was only trying to delay our extreme pain. After about 30 dirty trailers without greenbands, the movie finally starts. The sound level must have been at 69dB for the feature, and maybe 75dB for the trailers. And mono. Everything was in mono except the awesome AMC FirstLook™ which allowed me to be the first to get a sneak at new NBC shows and other fantastic things. Wow. Advertising for TV at movie theaters is a GREAT idea. What else can theaters do to encourage people to stay home?

Actual movie review:
This movie had nothing to do with anything. It was just a bunch of people talking, a bunch of crappy sex scenes, and more people talking. I never really watched the real show, but it couldn't have been any worse than this. The cinematograhy sucks ass (fact, not opinion) but probably not as much as those lousy Bourne movies. I noticed one scene where they were on a boat heading toward Havana or whatever, there was a helicopter shot chasing the boat, the ocean looked washed out where it was reflecting from the sun at the horizon and they tried to fix it with some lazy color-correction. This made me angry. I hope this movie didn't make much money. We walked out after about an hour or so to avoid any permanent brain damage and/or slipping into a coma and demanded/got a refund.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: