Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fields of Freedom -- Gettysburg PA

Author Topic: Fields of Freedom -- Gettysburg PA
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FIELDS OF FREEDOM is a "Giant Screen" film showing at the new Gettysburg Gateway theatres, depicting the last day of the Gettysburg battle, the infamous "Pickett's Charge"

(Most tasteless thing found in Gettysburg, Pa: The Pickett's Charge Breakfast Buffet.)

The film attempts to show the story of the final day of the Gettysburg battle, when thousands of Confederate soldiers walked out of the treeline outside Gettysburg, and walked into the Union firestorm near Cemetery Ridge.

The film attempts to tell the story from both sides. We see a Confederate soldier talking to his buddies, and we see a Union officer preparing for battle.

Big problem with this film is its sense of scale. The power of Pickett's Charge is seeing the thousands of men walking toward the Union army. In the film, you just see a small group from a very close angle.

The film is not very interesting, not very exciting and it just isn't a good film. Film needs to be longer (currently 30 min) and include more information about the battle. If you saw this short film, you would not really know what went on at Gettysburg.

Film is shown in 2 theatres of a new 8-plex theatre, with standard release films on the other 6 screens. 3 screens (including Fields of Freedom) are DLP. The film is billed all over the Gettysburg area as being a "Giant Screen" film. 44' is NOT a giant screen. This is a typical standard run room, with 35mm and DLP equipment. Sound is billed as being Dolby Digital EX. The theatre is also billed as having a proprietary sound system identified by a series of letters and numbers.

Projection was OK, but a bit dim. I thought it was just the system, but when still pictures were shown at the end of the film, they were crisp clean and bright.

I'm not trying to be funny here, but DLP is a great way to show still pictures. The b/w pictures at the end of the film were rock solid and crystal clear. I wish the picture had looked as good.

Sound was OK, but lacked punch in the extreme low end. Cannon blasts should thump in your chest. The film is also plagued by swishes from right to left and vice versa, apparently to depict projectiles. This got VERY annoying after a few minutes.

Theatre is very very new, and seemed fairly nice. But this film is not worth seeing. If you're in the Gettysburg area, take a tour with a guide, you'll learn a lot more.

(Guess you now know where I had my vacation. Even spent a night in Intercourse, PA!)

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: