Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Devil Wears Prada

Author Topic: The Devil Wears Prada
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 04:46 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is everyone afraid to review this movie?

I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen in a while. I'm thinking that the fact that the trailer gave nothing away about the movie helped.

And that blonde girl in the opening scene with the pink & black underwear, jeeesus christ! Greco factor for the opening scene, 10++, rest of the movie, 6 to 7

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-09-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie probably has one of the most boring posters in history. Although, the movie itself seems pretty good from what I've seen of it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-09-2006 09:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poster mimics the book.

Streep just gets better and better; a tour-de-force.

Def. a chick-flick, but OK for the guys too; and you don't have to be TOO sensitive.

(Her boyfriend is a bit too smarmy for me. She deserves a real man. Louis

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I both enjoyed this.
It showed that someone with a half a brain wrote the script and directed. Unlike most of the crap these days.
Besides, Anne Hathaway is just so darn cute. [Smile]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The poster mimics the book.
I saw that in the book store recently, but I wasn't sure if that was the original cover or if it was a new cover that was copying the movie poster.

I also didn't quite get the need for a three minute trailer for this movie. But, the movie does seem to be doing quite well at our place.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 07:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this movie to be a lot of fun. It's mostly a rise-to-success story, with a fairly hokey morality tale bolted on. The success story is a lot more enjoyable than the morality tale. I know more than a few people who would actually be rooting for the main character to make different choices than the ones she eventually makes. It might have worked better if it were more of a cautionary tale, with the main character becoming just as ruthless as Miranda in the end. That would have made the movie much darker, but some of the best and most enduring comedies are very black.

It does go on just a bit too long, and could have used just a touch more subtlety in a few places, but on the whole this is a very well-made film. I agree it's far better written and acted than most of the crap that's out there these days. And as Chris mentioned, the trailer was a shining example of catching your interest without giving anything away.

This movie has some great nighttime shots of New York and Paris. Someone should show this to Michael Mann to prove you don't need to go digital to get good images of nighttime cityscapes.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're just finishing up a two week sub-run. Business has been great with it, the patrons seem to like it. I watched it and I did enjoy it, although I doubt I would go to see it on my own.

Looks like Anne Hathaway will be forever typecast in "Cinderella" roles. She's good, hope she doesn't get stuck in these parts.

Streep is good in anything she does.

Stanley Tucci is amazingly versatile, he can do any part.

I give it a 3 out of 5.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot. Much more than I thought I would, at least...although I always have faith in Meryl Streep, she always delivers.

My favorite character was the girl named Emily. She had some great lines. ("This is her...the new me. Told you.")

The ending got a little contrived and/or long, but I still liked it.

4 out of 5 from me. Would have been 3.5 but a half-star added for the yowzah! opening credits underwear scenes.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-01-2011 01:24 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1622 days since the last post.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-01-2011 01:24 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

This is a good movie. Meryl Street is outstanding!

I can't think of many movies that show of so much fashion. The games and competitiveness between women is intersting.

Emily Blunt. I love her, so hot!

"You eat carbs for Christ sake"

Well cast, interesing story, good music, well shot and great ending.

I remember this movie doing very well when it was in theatres.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-02-2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a crush on Anne Hattaway when I saw her in her first movie PRINCESS DAIRIES and tried to see as many of her movies in a theatre including the one she was working on about Mormon missionaries in New Zealand with a love story plot when she auditioned for the Disney movie. Miss Hattaway started out in squeaky clean Disney films but she did branch out to make challenging films like BROABACK MOUNTAIN and RACHEL'S GETTING MARRIED in which she was nominated for an Academy Award. The makeup in some of her dramatic films made her look very unattractive but she was gorgeous in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA. I saw TDWP in a theatre and I bought the movie on DVD and agan on Blu-Ray when Costco had it on sale at a almost give away price. I loved to movie when I saw it in a theatre and watched it once on DVD and twice on Blu-Ray and will view it again many more times in the future. Sure I know it is a 'chick flick' but this is a movie almost everybody loves.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 02-02-2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I had a crush on Anne Hattaway when I saw her in her first movie PRINCESS DAIRIES
PERV!

Go see Love and Other Drugs...she goes topless

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-02-2011 05:42 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to see more of her topless (short scene) see "Havoc" (Unrated version).

quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
but she was gorgeous in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA.
She is so gorgeous in real life. We did some work for Jonathan Demme during "Rachel's Getting Married" Post-Production. She was here afew times.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-02-2011 07:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I had enjoyed topless scenes by celebrated actresses such as the ones Jamie Lee Curtis did in TRADING PLACES, I am not interested in seeing Anne Hattaway in the nude. She probably look good without clothes but I have so many fond memories of her wholesome early family films, sex scenes of her does not interest me at all. I will eventually see her in the nude when the movies you all mentioned are released to home video But I am not looking forward to it.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2011 12:05 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nudity or not, Love and Other Drugs was a solid movie. The nudity wasn't gratuitous either: it was very tasteful and artistic if you ask me.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: