Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the chance to sit in on our press screening for this one.
First I must say that I'm one of the few people who did not like the original Pirates film [thumbsdown] , I found it corny, pointless and completely un-original. So I went into this one expecting very little and that may explain why I enjoyed [Smile] this one far more than the original. It moves along quite nicely with good action sequences, generous amounts of humor and fairly convincing special effects. Some of the dialogue and humor tend to lean heavily towards the 13 side of the PG-13 rating so be prepared for possible complaints from irate parents who hold us responsible for the films content. Overall all those who liked the original should be pleased with this one, just remember its only part two of three and as a result there are many ends left untied.

***minor spoiler***

Everyone from the original movie makes it back into this one in some form or fashion.
***end spoiler**

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 02:35 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually didnt like this one as much as the first. Though I must admit that I didnt like the first one when I screened it but it did end up growing on me upon further viewings. So who knows maybe I will end up liking this one as well. In any event, I also agree that they got away with a lot for a PG-13 movie. I wonder if the Great Mouse Empire had anything to do with that. I do have to disagree with the good special effects. I noticed quite a bit of not so good CG work and damn did that crap code get annoying. The movie also should have been titled "Pirates of the Caribean: Dead Man's Chest Vol 1" as there is absolutely no resolution. Instead of going the "Back to the Future" route and making two distinct sequels, they took the "Kill Bill" approch and made one movie and divided it into two. I guess I will find out my final verdict next year. For now I will give it 2 1/2 out of 4.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep] [thumbsdown] [bs] [sleep] [bs] [thumbsdown] [puke] [puke]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Warning may contain spoilers)

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 had the makings of a very great film indeed. However it suffered from the same problems that I can relate back to Raiders of the lost Ark, it too was a great action adventure film that everyone loved and watched it time and time again, then came Temple of Doom, which sadly people watched once and forgot quickly, it got bogged down and failed to move forward quick enough. Pirates 2 has suffered the same problem.

I did enjoy Pirates 2, our favourite cast again, with great action scenes balanced with some comic moments and some very intense scenes. The music was dynamic and scenery was great, the film had a great feel to it.
A pity they made the mistake of trying too hard to make it bigger and better than the first film and ended up with a complicated adventure saga with dead spots and scenes of no relevance to the forward movement of the film.

The giant squiddy attack was fantastic, but we only needed one of them. Davey Jones (awesome make up) crew were also very good and very different but they went on too long as well as the Jamaican fortune teller and too much detail put into why each of the three need the Dead mans chest so badly. 120minutes would have been heaps to get the story out at a better pace.

Once again I received a very good print with sharp focus and natural colors, sound on DTS was some of the best I have heard.

3.5 out of 5 from me on this one.

The .5 bit for Keira (waiting for the Greco factor)

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of liked the first one, but I'm with Chris on this one. [puke] [bs]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2006 01:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see a bright picture again after the dark and murky (for the most part) Superman Returns.

We are almost sold out for our midnight show, so based on that I love this movie already! [Big Grin]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 01:44 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like this movie when I watched it last night. But given about 24 hours to reflect on the experience, it's starting to grow on me. Kind of like cancer.

quote: Phil Blake
The .5 bit for Keira (waiting for the Greco factor)

Check out DOMINO. She's much more attractive in that, and regardless, it's a movie that's well worth your time.

quote: Mike Blakesley
It's nice to see a bright picture again after the dark and murky (for the most part) Superman Returns.

Wow! I was thinking the exact opposite. SUPERMAN RETURNS has very beautiful colors, etc. But PIRATES 2 gives new meaning to the word drab.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
phil makes a mental note "must watch Domino"!

One further comment on Pirates 2 was the trailer contained some very amusing one liners which were cut from the main feature, I found this very disappointing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Check out DOMINO. [Keira's] much more attractive in that
No she isn't. She smokes in that movie. That makes her much MUCH less attractive. She also needs a serious helping of McDonalds or some other fatty foods transfused into her bloodstream immediately!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-08-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree fully with the [bs] and [puke] comments.

And yes, I did enjoy the first one.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 11:20 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something doesn't jive here. Are you all being too critical? In this thread Mike Blakesley said
quote:
I think we'll get a much bigger "bump" from Cars and Pirates than we did from Da Vinci Code because a lot of people left DVC with a "the book was much better" attitude. Whereas most people are coming out of Cars and Pirates with big old smiles on their faces.
On Yahoo, the user reviews are B+. Most of you guys reviews basically say it sucks. I'll probably find out for myself tomorrow but it doesn't make sense that the movie sucks but people come out smiling.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-08-2006 11:29 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rottentomatoes.com critical rating is 77 fresh & 71 rotten (52% favorable). The user rating on imdb.com (1,412 votes) is 7.9 out of 10. Interesting.

Matt Kerekes
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Matt Kerekes   Email Matt Kerekes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie, I do think that in some places they were trying to hard to be better than the first. However, I enjoyed all of it, and the length did not bother me. The only disappointing thing for me was at the end, they could have practiacally flashed "TO BE CONTINUED" on the screen and just rolled credits. I could have sat there and watched the plot unfold a little more. Guess I'll have to wait.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley

Geez, It shouldn't have been dark at your new light level! I think what you are seeing is the increased contrast ratio you now have with those lenses.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2006 05:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it was the colors of the film itself. I think it was the way it was lit. Just not to my liking, is all. The city-scape scenes looked awesome and bright.

Anyway....back to Pirates. Other than a few gripes about the cliffhanger ending, people here are appearing to love it. We had most of the teenagers in town here for the midnight show, and now their moms and dads are coming to the regular showings. A good sign.

quote: Lyle Romer
Something doesn't jive here.
I think if you could tally up the film-tech movie reviews, you would find far more negative reviews than positive. Some people on here seem to never like any movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: