Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Nacho Libre (2006)

Author Topic: Nacho Libre (2006)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-16-2006 01:54 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 20
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: THX and Fandango trailers played in analog
RATING: One and one half stars (out of four)

WTF?!? "Century Radio" is now actual SONGS? NOOOO! I want that creepy instrumental stuff back! I don't pay to hear this crap!

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to see any of the movies in the previews. Except "My Super Ex-Girlfriend", which looks so cool it just HAS to suck.

Speaking of sucking, have you seen this movie? No? Good. Keep it that way.

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 10:49 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was dumb. Not in that Scary Movie/White Chicks kind of stupid...just dumb. Sometimes, I wish I did drugs just to make movies like this much more funnier. It had it's moments, but all in all I'd give it a 'C'.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Black was perfect for this role. The idea has potential, but like all Hollywood movies these days it just sucked. Granted it didn't suck bad enough for me to walk out, but I kept hoping they would do something good with the idea before the movie was over.

Note there are a few funny scenes. I found the fight scene in reel 2 with the two midgets funny, as a few other totally random jokes throughout the movie. Other than that, this is a total waste of time.

1 out of 5

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-17-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so out of touch these days with new movies! The standee to this one, with Jack Black kind of flapping his cape, seemed vaguely amusing. I like Jack Black, but I hate waste-of-time movies. Where exactly does this one fall? If there are even a handful of laughs, I might just sit through this one, not knowing what in heck I might expect.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I surprised that the Catholic Church isn't protesting this one like the did with the Da Vinci Code.

Of course Nacho Libre doesn't challenge the entire belief system that the church is based on, but it does portray priests in a poor light. Also that whole sexual tension between Ignacio and the Nun seemed a bit much. She certainly had a lot of stuff in her chamber.

I certainly loved Jack Black posing in his "stretchy pants." I love it when fat guys flaunt it. My favorite being the Patrick Swayze, Chris Farley, Chippendales Dance Off on SNL.

Yea, stupid movie with some good bits.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Black over does his comedy a little to much for me. I never was a fan. I think he was good in Saving Silverman, but thats it, since then, nothing has impressed me.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-18-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 6/18/2006, 11:50AM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #4. Attendance, oh, maybe 35? SR-D. Parts of the preshow looked excellent, but the feature was jumpy and didn't look all that great. Rush job by the lab?

"Nacho Libre" will probably be remembered as the oddest movie ever to be released under the Nickelodean name. I didn't hate it, in fact I kinda-sorta like that it's so odd. It made me laugh out loud a couple times (corn-on-a-stick used as a weapon). I can almost convince myself that this is a decent movie. Almost. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except as a weird comedy that's not all that funny, but personally I'm not unhappy I saw it.

2.25 stars out of 5.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Light & beautifully shot, a perfect vehicle for Jack Black & his character. Not Ignacio, but Black himself. It occasionally bended the expected jokes to more extreme angles than I would have expected out of Hollywood. 'Secret Tunnels' was an awesome sight gag that had the courage to run itself to just the right level.

Small details got the full spotlight. This film had authentic flavor and a childlike poetic fulfillment, just the kind of attitude a film geared toward kids & adults should have. The creativity doesn't get stretched as it did in Napoleon, but Hess manages to find some nice places in which to spy that creativity, the musical interludes, the food & the well-shot wrestling sequences... You see every entertaining aspect of the matches, nothing is jerky or cut short due to scene movement.

There's a special place in my heart for goofiness, or theatrics of any kind. That's the sort of thing Hollywood has sorely lacked as of late, and Nacho makes the right moves, settling into the Hollywood counterpoint film slot that has been empty for far, far too long. It's not a tremendous or strong film in that accord, either, but neither adjective applies to any of the characters. This is a film that doesn't require so much counting [thumbsup]

Negative dust abounds!

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 12:13 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, after reading all this here, when my friend told me we're going to see Nacho Libre tonight, I was worried. Turns out you guys just don't have a sense of humor (or my dad has just given me his horrible sense of humor [Wink] ). I definitely laughed at the movie, there were a couple things that made no sense, but I think it was a well made movie.

I saw it at the Lowes (AMC? Did AMC buy Lowes out recently?) theater in Stony Brook, NY, Theater One. Technically...ouch, it sucked. The film was jumping up and down, the focus was not dialed in correctly, there was light spilling onto the screen from somewhere, and it sounded like someone who liked lots of rap had tweaked the sound system (waaaay too much bass). I was tempted to complain to management about it, but I was with friends who aren't projectionists, so I didn't want to waste their time.

So, overall, good movie, just be careful if you're in Stony Brook, NY, and want to go to the theater. There's a good chance you'll be better off fighting your way into the booth and running the film yourself...

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie and I couldn't stand it. I thought it was way to bland. It did have it's few funny moments, but, overall, I was a little bored. Jack Black's funniest movie was "Shallow Hal". I give it 1 out of 5 stars.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 02:03 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, they made a movie about my life! If anybody knows me, you'll know that I am just like Nacho Libre. lol! Seriously though, I actually liked this movie. It was kinda stupid, but it was so stupid that it was funny. It made me laugh and kept me entertained, so I give it a [thumbsup] !

Oh, and I have to mention that nun chick. [sex]
Need I say more?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird movie. It did have some funny parts. I got a kick out of the fart jokes, although I suspect the farts were looped in to create a laugh where none existed, just to up the laugh count.

This movie seemed like a Mexican Napoleon Dynamite with lucha libre wrestling taking the place of the disco dancing. Goofy-looking lead character...sleepy Mexican sidekick...strange sexual tension...plates of food shown full-screen...cheap-sounding soundtrack music. It was more consistently funny than Napoleon though.

When singing his "I ate some bugs, I ate some grass, I used my hands, to wipe my tears" song, Jack Black briefly slipped back into Dewey Finn mode. I was waiting for him to work in "The legend of the stew was way hardcore" somehow.

2 out of 5 for me.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2006 01:29 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this a couple of nights ago.

A few flat0areas in the film but the music and settin makes this a far more original film than normally comes out of the US.

Overall I quite liked it and felt it had some real warmth. You gotta enjoy watching wrestling occasionally though. The midgets were hilarious.

A fun film and overall quite good. Lighten up guys!

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: