Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cars (2006) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cars (2006)
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-07-2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that it's absolutely ridiculous how far ahead of everyone else Pixar is with the level of technical sophistication in their movies. The amount of detail in this film is nothing short of stunning. Even the "cinematography" is great, with bits and pieces here and there looking almost photo realistic. I wish they decided to make THIS movie in 3D.

Story-wise, it's all been done before. Sort of a "Doc Hollywood" meets "Days Of Thunder" or something like that. Despite that, and its predictability, it's still fun to watch. I think this might be my favorite Owen Wilson movie.

The sound mix seemed ok. We watched it in a less than impressive theater, so it's hard to say if the mix will rock or not if complimented with the proper hardware, but it sounded like it might.

All in all, this movie was at least what I expected if not more. I always enjoy Pixar's movies not only for their mind boggling display of CGI wizardry, but also for their movies' stories. Cars was no exception. It should put plenty of butts in the seats this weekend.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 02:59 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I thought it was quite an epic animation feature this one. It moved along better than I anticipated it would.
Animation I thought was second to none, and the story was quite entertaining for all ages.

Our print which came out of Technicolor labs in Bangkok was of very high quality,no focus issues with this one. sound in DTS was also great!

Without spoiling anything too much, and being a country feller, my favorite part would be the tractor tipping scene! . And I bet Tim Reed gets a few giggles from the truck scenes.

4 out for 5 from me

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's see. I heard someone say it may be the best Pixar movie ever. Hmmm, don't know. Being a fan of the automobile - it is my favorite Pixar Film. I loved the movie and think it will do stupendous at the box office. 4 1/2 stars outta 5. Perfectly cast on all the voices too.

Now the ONLY drawback on this movie is the running time. I believe it may be about 20 minutes too long for the kiddies under 6. Thier attention span won't last the entire run of the film. That will be the only complaint anyone has on this soon to be classic animated movie. Pixar continues to amaze me with thier animated films. Be sure to stick around ALL the way to the end of the credits. The Drive-In scenes make me want to go out and open a damn Drive-In already!

[beer] [beer]

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its running time is way toooooooo long, and any little kid will get bored very easily. I found the story boring, and actually walked out and did some other projects during the screening. Cute cars, neat little town, but overall too long. 1.5 hrs would have been enough. Gotta love the little gift inside the shipping cans.

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 06:55 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already a set of the trading cards on Ebay [Eek!]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 09:31 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and it is just like a 50s CinemaScope picture, with the voices being positioned with the images, L,C,R. Surround ES in DTS is excellent.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen it digitally projected yet? Better yet, anyone seen it in 35mm and in digital and care to offer a comparison?

Digital Cinema Venues Listed Here (Most of 'em anyway. Still sorting out a few conflicting/incomplete details.)

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 01:37 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only movie I will probably every like that has something to do with Larry The Cable Guy. [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 02:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry actually makes the movie. Without him, they wouldn't have much comedywise. He has most of the funniest lines (and they manage to work in all of his catch phrases too.) I also enjoyed George Carlin as the VW van.

Visually the movie is stunning. This is one film that will TOTALLY lose it on the TV screen...it needs the big theatre screen to stretch out in. DVD watchers are going to miss out on a lot unless they have huge screens at home.

Writing-wise, I was less than thrilled. The story is OK but the movie is much too long. The ending is lacking the Pixar magic (my favorite Pixar ending of all is from "Finding Nemo.") But, overall it's very enjoyable. The end credits drive-in bonus was awesome!

I'll give it 4 out of 5. Would have been 4 1/2 if it had been 30 minutes shorter.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 03:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and loved the tribute to Steve McQueen ("Lightning McQueen") and the great tribute to "the Mother Road" - Route 66

Yes, "Mater" stole the show..as does all of the side characters of practically any movie does..

One needs to see this on a BIG digital screen (as we did at the screening of this film at ShoWest in March..) Pix was sharp and bright, and clear. (hey, had a hard time looking for cuemarks and splices..they weren't there..my first digital feature that I witnessed..)

..bit of a toughie on this one.: "Monsters, INC", "the Incredibles", or "CARS" .. which one was the best of the recent PIXAR releases.. you decide on this..

Yes, the short, "One Man Band" and the new Pixar movie "Ratatouille" that was advertised on the front of the short..we're excellent as well.

I thought that the running time was about right -kept the attention span going..but I can see why it would dissolve the attention span for the kids..

4 out of 5 stars for me.. - Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-09-2006 06:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed the movie was too long, even though I thouroughly enjoyed it. I do have a major beef with the fact that Lightning McQueen's hood wasn't dented to match it's annoying voice. [Razz]

From the trailers, I hated the fact that Larry the Cable Guy was voicing over one of the cars. After seeing the movie, I wanted more of Mater. Freakin' hilarious!

I spent much of the time just looking for background car items, such as the tire markings in the clouds and the car shapes in the landscaping.

The picture on my print was magnificent, and this is probably THE steadiest image I have ever seen on a 35mm general release print. It quite literally was just as steady as PA35. Major kudos goes out to the Technicolor lab for the phenomenal printing work.

The sound mix was excellent as usual, and they really put the EX to good use in many of the scenes. The panned dialogue was also a refreshing change of pace from the usual mixing style of today's movies.

Other than the fact that Owen Wilson annoys me with his whiny voice and that the movie seemed 20 minutes too long, I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
[thumbsup]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My review:
http://www.bigscreen.com/ReaderReview.php?movie=44829

quote:
See Now!

Cars is an excellent movie that continues the fine Pixar tradition of making Disney look really good! While I can't say that it is as good as Toy Story or Finding Nemo, it is very close, and certainly much better than many other movies in the same genre.

Much like Toy Story gave life to classic toys, Cars brings life to all kinds of cars, from race cars to a lovable tow truck and a "hippie" VW bus, among others.

The nice thing about this movie is that it hits quite a few targets that will resonate with audiences young and old. Starting out with an adrenaline-filled NASCAR-style race, the sound systems of theaters around the country will be put to the test. It firmly establishes the lead character of Lightning McQueen (voiced by Owen Wilson) and is a lot of fun. The animation is top-notch, as always.

So you've got talking cars, check. NASCAR, check. Likable characters, check.

On the way to the next big race, Lightning finds himself without his transport truck and stuck in the middle of the desert. Landing in the sleepy town of Radiator Springs, a once-bustling town on Route 66 that was bypassed by the new freeway, Lightning is forced to slow things down and pay attention to things other than his own fame and fortune. A majority of the movie is spent in Radiator Springs, and for good reason, it's the most interesting setting.

The cars that he meets that are still living in Radiator Springs include Doc Hudson (voiced by Paul Newman), a 1951 Hudson Hornet who appears to be pretty sedate and uninteresting to a fast race car like Lightning McQueen, but whose past experiences make him credible and someone definitely worth listening to. As with many of the Pixar movies, there is a large cast of colorful characters that are very entertaining in their own right.

The nostalgia factor of Route 66 and a town which peaked long ago, along with some very recognizable cars and a landscape that will take several viewings to completely appreciate, makes for another checkmark on the list of things that Cars gets right.

If there is any criticism that I have, it is that the movie drags for a few minutes near the halfway point. That was the only part of the movie where I felt like they needed to get moving and pick up the pace a little. Whether this would be noticeable to most is up for debate, but it's the only negative I can find with the movie.

Any review that I could write would not do this movie justice. It's exactly the kind of movie that theaters need right now, because the best way to fully appreciate it is on a big screen. A good sound system, while not absolutely necessary, certainly bumps the enjoyment factor up a notch in the racing scenes. Even more subtle sound cues are present, as is usually the case with Pixar movies. Be sure to stay through the credits, as there are some clips that are funny and worth watching.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again on opening weekend because it is definitely worth seeing multiple times. Highly recommend for all ages!

It's been since ShoWest since I've seen the digital print, so it should be interesting to go to a local 35mm presentation. Hard comparisons will be difficult due to the time between viewings, but I'm already preparing myself to be disappointed with the sound unless I try to find out if it's being shown on the local AMC's unadvertised THX screens.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 10:21 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
hey, had a hard time looking for cuemarks and splices..they weren't there..my first digital feature that I witnessed..
OT: Monte, the digital presentations have never had cue marks or splices. I don't miss them at all for these types of shows. For us projectionists, it doesn't act as a clock to let you know how long you have been watching. Nice! [thumbsup]

James Nash
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 12:04 PM      Profile for James Nash   Author's Homepage   Email James Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater is showing both Digital and 35mm versions of Cars, and i have screened each. Our 35mm prints were in spectacular condition, so presentation was supurb. The digital prints of this film were beyond amazing. I have not yet seen clarity and color this good with digital presentation. every little detail is so crisp and clear, it is extremely photorealistic. It has been quite evident by our nightly box summary that the digital shows are preferred by our customers, as the digital prints consistantly gross much more than the 35's.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Nash
the digital prints consistantly gross much more than the 35's.
That's probably because you have a big sign saying DIGITAL next to those auditoriums or on your times board. Everyone in the public knows "digital" equals "better" so higher grosses are not surprising.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: