Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Omen 2006

Author Topic: The Omen 2006
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm, can't make my mind up about this one. Wa watchable (apart from the crappy quality print, emulsion bleed and sloppy focus reel 4). It just didn't seem to build up the tension like the original and the score was well over the top. When we get the new print I'll watch it again then maybe I'll make my mind up!

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2006 10:41 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a preview of the movie after being built up and I liked it. I know I'll definately see it again on opening day. The movie sounded great in DTS, but, it will be moved to either #1 or #10, both of which are our Dolby Digital Houses capable of also being our Dolby Digital EX houses as well. Of course, I never got a chance to see the original Omen films & I intend to do so, so I can offer a better comparison.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-06-2006 10:40 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

WARNING: "I bathed him. I know every inch of his Spoilers."

Ticket Seller wearily advises "I have to warn you. There's limited seating available." Golly! I only need one.

She's not kidding. The 300-ish seat house is at close to capacity. By the time the movie got going, I counted six empty seats. The parking lot indicates that Auditorium 10 is every bit as full, and that this will go down as the busiest Tuesday ever here. They also seem to be selling a lot of tickets to X-Men, which they're still running on six screens. Smaller screens, but still...

The entire crowd except for me is teenagers, many looking significantly under 17. Things like "Kyle! How did YOU get in here?" were heard once in awhile.

I never watched the original. Watching this one was a lot like watching Da Vinci. Boooooring. Three girls behind me kept laughing and saying "This isn't scary!" until about 40 minutes in when the first tease of fright hits the screen and front sound stage...then they screamed bloody murder and one of them went into a fetal position in her seat. That was awesome. Fright scenes were few and far between, but effective. The most horrifying scenes for me were some of Julia Stiles' facial expressions. It was like she was morphing into Glenn Close.

Best crowd reaction was to the line I used in my spoiler warning...

(Actor) "I bathed him. I know every inch of his body."

(Crowd) "Ewwwww!" [Smile]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original always been the weaker sybling to The Exorcist for me and unfortunately not much has changed in the last 30 years. Gutted it was flat and not in scope but I guess I'll have to live with that.

A bit dull, and if you've seen the original there aren't going to be many suprises. I give it two out of five.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 04:35 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freaky as hell, I'm renting the original tonight. Looking forward to it.

3/5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: