Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » X-Men 3 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: X-Men 3
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 11:47 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn, and why is there a bit after the credits? Do we really need people staying in to the very end?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
Yawn, and why is there a bit after the credits? Do we really need people staying in to the very end?

You don't stay to the very end? And yes, we do really need people to stay to the very end and without being harassed by pimply adolescent usher/cleaners with their brooms and pickup pails, blabbering loudly so they can be heard over the music score, about what club they are going to frequent on the weekend and if perhaps they are going to get laid (I happen to know that they've got about a 98% chance they won't, but I don't volunteer that information).

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had no choice my turn to preview the crap!

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank nailed it right there! [uhoh] [Mad] [fu] [Smile] [beer] [dlp]

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our lot arn't allowed into a screen until the last person has left on pain of having to man the Baskin Robbins counter!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 06:51 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 07:28 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You don't stay to the very end? And yes, we do really need people to stay to the very end and without being harassed by pimply adolescent usher/cleaners with their brooms and pickup pails, blabbering loudly so they can be heard over the music score"

When we moved to having the half-lights on during the credits, cleaning during them seemed fair game, no sense of presentation anymore. When you have as few staff as we do and the programming can be ridiculous from our view at times, it's all too easy to want to get a screen done asap.

If people are actually watching the credits we wait, but nearly all the time they are getting their bags together or making out or talking. So I echo Frank's comments and suggest you watch the entire film. And complain about the lights being on during the trailers and credits!

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes well I think the yawn bit was right, almosted nodded off here
[sleep]
at least the focus was reasonable with this one , but the print was very very grainy and the analogue sound was terrible (no DTS disc) there was nothing coming out of the surround speakers at all. 2 out of 5.

Dont have much of an issue with people watching all the credits here , soon as they hit the screen they all stampede for the door, and In we go with the tools.

I did learn a lesson many years ago , never shut off the credits whith people still in the cinema , I did this once at the drive in many moons ago and nearly got taken out for it by an angry customer.
It turned out that his uncle was an assistant gaffer in the film and he brought along all his friends to show them his name on the big screen , then i shut it off, didn't I, the balloon burst and i will leave the rest to your imagination. [uhoh]

The next morning I fitted new hinges to the booth door.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad movie. I enjoyed it. But I still think X-Men 2 is my favorite in the series so far.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 09:54 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie perfectly captures the essence of Scott Lobdel's run on the comic in the mid-90s. And by that I mean it sucked.

Maybe that's a little too harsh. It wasn't bad so much as it was stupid. As far as mindless action movies go, this one's okay. But the fact that it's a follow up to X2, an extremely smart and well-made movie, just sort of amplifies its flaws.

As far as credits go, I used to be really hardcore about staying through all of them. But then I did the math and figured out that if I watch one movie a day, I'll be sitting through about 30 hours of credits a year! I don't have that much time. Besides, the only ones which are significant to me are writer, director, DP, and editor, so what's the point?

And my theory as to why that scene appears at the end of the credits instead of in the movie itself? The filmmakers' shame was probably a motivating factor.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-25-2006 11:22 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a thought, don't take it too personal... but...

The point of spending the time to watch credits is that every single person in the credits worked very hard on that film, whether the film sucked or not, and deserves enough respect to be treated as if they counted, instead of being told that they have no relevant point.

Last I checked, writers, directors, DP's and editors cannot do films such as these on their own. And regardless of if it sucked, the people who broke their backs didn't make it suck, but they still deserve people to recognise that they worked hard and tried.

It is the same reason we don't just huck our trash from our happy meals straight out of our windows and onto the road, or spit on people we walk by on the street, or steal everything in site becase we can. We have respect for those around us, and for ourselves. Or at least we should.

How many times have we as individuals complained because we didn't get the respect we felt we deserved, only to turn around and give absolutely no respect in our own actions?

It is the very least I can do to just stick around a few minutes and pay my respects to those that worked so hard to bring me this movie. Then I follow it up by packing out my garbage and other crap, and thank those hard working ushers as we leave the theater.

It's all about self respect when you reach out to respect the hard work of others.

There are 8760 hours in the course of a non-leap year. If you sleep for one third, and work for one third, then you are left with 2920 hours of personal time. If you spend 30 hours a year watching credits, or in my assertion, paying proper respect for the hard work of hundreds of people in just a few mintues a shot, than this would only take 1.03 percent of your free time.

The people in the credits may not know you are doing it, but the time you take to respect others accomplishments can only build up your own desire to have self respect and require that those around you respect you as much as you do yourself.

As for the film, as this thread has had little to do with the actual film, I am excited to see it. I will not let the the other two films or the lack of Brian Singer to affect my judgement of it. I will allow it to stand on its own. It still might suck, but we will see.

Just a though...

Ciao

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope that, more than anything else, the people making movies would think of someone watching their movies as the ultimate form of respect. Not watching credits allows me to watch 15 more movies a year. And while writers, directors, DPs, and editors cannot make movies by themselves, they are, generally speaking, the driving artistic forces behind their movies. I'm not watching the credits out of respect for these individuals. I just want to be able to cross-reference their work. For example, I can see that the writers, director, DP, and editor of SUPERMAN RETURNS all worked on X2. Based on that, I can assume that SUPERMAN RETURNS will kick a noteworthy amount of ass, and I'll be sure not to miss it. [Wink]

EDIT: The problem with judging X-MEN: THE LAST STAND on its own merits is that it doesn't stand on its own. It relies heavily on what has come before it. It's not going in bold new directions like, say, the Mission: Impossible franchise has done. Instead, it's moving the ongoing saga forward. Well, sort of forward and downward. If you were to graph it, it would probably be at about a 45 degree angle. So maybe that is a new direction. But it's not bold.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Credits are part of the movie: respect them, don't clean during them, and stay for them unless bladder is about to explode.

As for the film, eh. I love X-Men. I thought this was rushed, and taken time with. It could have been great, but the story and some plot points really ticked me off. I won't spoil, but I'm just really mad about a couple things.

All in all, it's ok, and to quote Phil, "I liked it [thumbsup] "

AJG

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard they fucked up the Phoenix storyline. Reviewers? www.aintitcool.com guys are livid about the movie.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few people coming out of the screen today said it sucked. You can tell how bad a film is by how quickly people leave at the end. Cleared pretty fast, but few obviously knew about the end bit and so we didn't start cleaning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: