Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Over the Hedge (2006)

Author Topic: Over the Hedge (2006)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-20-2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

It's been years since I've seen the comic in a newspaper, but I seem to recall it being much more clever than this.

It has its moments, and the kids in the room loved it, but for adults...You know how y'all thought the squirrel was the best part of Ice Age? Well that's the story here too.

If "Mutts" gets made into a movie, they'd better do it better than this.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-21-2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that newspaper circulation is down and that it continues to decline at an all time rate, I am betting that the majority of people who go see this film have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA that this is based on a comic strip.

Kids don't read those. They play Auto Homicide 3. Parents are apathetic. They don't care anyway.

I had no idea this was a comic strip before the movie. After seeing the movie, I read one of the comic strips on the internet. Now I see that I should have never enjoyed this movie. I am, after all, an adult. Damn me and my ass getting laughed off. [Eek!]

I really loved the film. I laughed from beginning to end, with several moments I thought I was going to have a stroke! [eyes]

It was guilty pleasure to sit back and just laugh my ass off and have a good time. The film required no thinking on my part, it was cute, cuddly, warm and fuzzy. Many moments of silliness in this film prevented it from taking itself too seriously.

And really you have to take into consideration that this weekend I had the choice of this film, or the DaVince Code. Please! [Mad]

The film works for what it is supposed to be, never pretending to be anything but what it was.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

Ciao

Chris Unwin
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 04:08 AM      Profile for Chris Unwin   Email Chris Unwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great movie..........3 out of five. Hammy the squirell is by far the best character. For the weekend matinees I looked out the port from the booth and saw a sea of kids.....it was crazy busy for this one with kids. I could hear that they were enjoying it, even when I was up in the booth! [Smile] [thumbsup]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-26-2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw this movie on the grounds of the following: I was bored and wanted to pass time before our X-Men screening, I don't know how much longer we'll have this in DLP, I'm a fan of several of the voice actors and it's been awhile since I've heard anything from Garry Shandling, and I'm a Ben Folds fan and he had five or so songs in the film.

It wasn't bad, since it had its moments (of course, most of them were the squirrel ... yay, Steve Carell!), but I wasn't too impressed with much of it.

The Ben Folds songs were good, but I must say I was devastated hearing his voice use, for the first time, that "polished" pitch-correction on every song! Wince! If they were great, I'd have considered getting the soundtrack album, but I just can't do it. He was never a seriously strong vocalist, but that's the appeal of his vocal quality ... and they pop-album'ed it up. Even if it was just a touch-up treatment, as opposed to full on Britney-processing, it still grates the ears! I'm sorry, but does that pitch-correction shifty sound bug anyone else? Does anyone even notice it!? Wince, wince.

The DLP was bright and colorful, though. Those greens are incredible!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-29-2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also hate the pitch correction. As a part time sound engineer, I cannot understand why anyone thinks the use of computers to make someone sound better than they are is a good idea. Either they can sing or they cant. Please don't make me lie about it in my work.

The DLP presentation was incredible. Very sharp and crisp and bright. Very impressive.

On the second viewing, I fell asleep. Well I meditated on thoughts of something better to do, waking only momentarily for Steve's and Shatners moments. Admittedly, I was very tired, didn't sleep much, so it isn't fair for me to say I was bored. The seats were comfortable, very easy to sleep in.

Ciao

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 02:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - you should get the Ben Folds album "Rockin' the Suburbs." It has at least 2 of the songs from this movie and is a really good disk.

As for the film - I liked it. The visuals were great. I enjoyed Willis's smartass attitude and Garry Shandling was good too. Lots of in-jokes for the adults and the kids were enthralled. Bottom line - it put a lot of big and little butts in the seats and everyone enjoyed it, so that makes it a good movie in my book.

As for my personal opinion - The story was a little weak and predictable - maybe they should have had the bear eat the raccoon at the end. So I'll give it 4 out of 5 for visuals, 2 out of 5 for writing, for an average of 3 out of 5.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-08-2006 03:48 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Rockin' The Suburbs has already been on my Top 10 Favorites list for years now! I agree, it's a great disc. I enjoyed the new lyrics to the song in the credits. Kept with the spirit of the original

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 04:34 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hammie the Squirrel rules!!!!

5/5

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-20-2006 07:42 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like a cookie.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 05:00 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will keep the kids interested its short its a busy film with funny animals and crazy antics.
I found it entertaining , print was good, sharp coulorfull image with good sound.

The Skunk was my favorite.

3.5 out of 5

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was wretchedly awful! I felt physically ill after this. [puke] The jokes were lame, the animation was so-so, and it seriously gave the wrong message to kids about eating candy and drinking red bull/energy drinks.

Plus I saw it in a house with DTS. And as I always complain about it, the sound was low, flat, and muffled. DTS SUCKS. [puke]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-06-2006 08:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expected to hate this (saw it as part of a double-feature at a drive-in), but I actually thought it was fun. Definitely above average for the CGI-kids-movie-of-the-week. Parents will enjoy it too, I think.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
Plus I saw it in a house with DTS. And as I always complain about it, the sound was low, flat, and muffled. DTS SUCKS.
Sounds more like an alignment problem. We had DTS for over 10 years and not one person ever said it was low, flat or muffled.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it, but I felt like I was watching a Nazi propaganda film. WAY too much political nonsense in there for little kids. I guess that is the new plan though, brainwash the kids now so in 15 years they will vote how hollywood wants them to.

Of course as always, the comment in this post may or may not reflect the opinions of the author.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 01:50 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was fun and entertaining. We did well with the kids in the seats for this.

Most of the newer cartoons (do they still call these things cartoons?) all have adult humor. Not "dirty" adult, just more mature comments. Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Flintstones, almost all of them were "adult" sitcoms rather than kiddie cartoons.

My fave line was when the huge SUV was being explained. "Wow! How many humans fit in that big SUV?"

"One."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: