Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Art School Confidential (2006)

Author Topic: Art School Confidential (2006)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-13-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Tinseltown, Layton, UT
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Analog
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: A really...LOUD...analog
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

This property has actually operated as two properties for years. It's an old Movies 10 with a seven-screen stadium Tinseltown attached next door. They had seperate entrances. But Cinemark has removed the Movies 10 entrance and cut a hole between the two buildings to turn it into one complex. The newspaper ad sort of implies the whole thing is stadium seating, but I wasn't in the old 10 to see if they really converted those auditoriums or not. They're also finishing up a new exterior paint job in Cinemark's current flavor. The purple and orange is now sandy tones with some dark red. Looks much better so far.

Nothing's changed inside. Except the addition of a video pre-show. It was pretty much the worst video pre-show I've seen yet. How many times do I need to see that stupid Adam Sandler remote control movie preview, anyway? Isn't that out on DVD already?

This movie is the textbook example of the phrase "from the sublime to the ridiculous". It starts out as a movie about a kid who goes to art school and falls for a girl. It takes a complete left turn and...man. Somebody started this and had no idea where to go with it. Okay, that's probably not true. It HAS a direction and a few swerves, but...

Attendance: 1. Me.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully, Da Vinci Code has stolen the spotlight among talked about movies. After seeing Art School Confidential I felt as the entire film was overrated. Good character potential was there & the production was really tied down to the story. Nice, right there is most of what's missing in the extremely mainstream films out now. But Max Minghella's main character is such an unknown, down to the last frame. He doesn't seem in league with his supporting cast & the heavy plot strokes that he takes on don't coincide with his lightweight performance. This transforms a Ghost-World-esque ending that could pass as a statement about artists in general into a shoddy bridge between his & Sophia Myles' characters.

Is it fun? The film has its moments. Is it witty? Only in superficial terms. Is it something original? Oh yes. But it's less a cultural expose than a graduated teen movie with too much screen time for a genuinely hollow John Malkovich, and only about a page's worth for Angelica Houston.

For having a 4K bulb #1 at Landmark's Lagoon, those corners were barely visible. I'm told it could be a bad reflector. That aside, how about test screening? Three reels had SRD track damage. How about A-chain alignment? The analog reversion bit hard on the quiet end. Someone in their booth needs to learn when to disable that auto digital. Packed house, nonetheless.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: