Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » United 93 (2006) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: United 93 (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened this thing last night and have some basic comments to make. Even though we all know how it ends, I will try to do my usual and avoid spoilers.

First and foremost, hold the damn camera still!!! I am so sick and tired of this bullshit "style" of cinematography where the director knows his movie isn't all that suspenseful and tries to make up for it by shaking the hell out of the camera in a lame attempt to try and get the viewers on the edge of their seat and tense because they can't see what's going on. Knock it off guys...if you have to resort to shaking the camera throughout the entire movie, you really shouldn't be making such shitty movies and you suck at your job!

Ok, now that the shaky camera issue is off of my chest, I will now post a review that a friend of mine wrote who screened it with me. I think it captures the essence of this movie.

quote:
Last night, I joined a friend in a screening of that United 93 bullshit airplane movie.

For those of you that are going out to see this, LISTEN UP! Get to the theater exactly an hour and 10 minutes late. Then, and only then, will you be able to truly enjoy this movie. Seriously, I'd hate this movie if it wasn't for the last 20 minutes or so of it. The first hour and 10 minutes is mostly filled with bad actors playing as the people in the American Airlines airplane terminals, spouting out technical shit that 90% of the audience will not understand. Stuff like:

Angry guy with glasses: We've got a z9348t on lateral gfhv9495 intersecting guvjec its a perfect day for flying!
Fat Guy: Sir I think we have a hi-jack!
Glasses: What? Whatever you're lying
Fat Guy: I think it's true
Glasses: You're wrong
Fat Guy: Oh, ok nvm
Random people: HI-JACK HI-JACK HI-JACK
Glasses: HIJACKKKKSSS DO NOT EXIST
Random people: Z94t58 all the birds are squaking except one
Glasses: I'm too busy for this I NEED TO GO TO A MEETING
Bunny lady: Thirr(sir) there's a hi-jack
Glasses: Oh REALLY?
*CRAAAAZZZZY camera angles that almost made me vomit throught the ENTIRE movie*
HIJAACCCKK!!
I think there's another! Oh wait I'm wrong.
HIIJACCCCCKCCKCKCKCKCK!

...I'm not kidding either. It was that confusing. You think I am, but I'm not.
I think they even edited it out of place or something. At one point of the movie, I thought that the planes had hit the WTC because it shows smoke coming out of the towers, but then 5 minutes later they show the first one slam into it. What the heck?!
OH OH Then there's this terrorist with this insanely huge unibrow that I just couldn't stop staring at. He's like:

ALLAH!!!!!!

However, the last 20-30 minutes of the movie are actually pretty good. It basically re-enacts what happened inside one of the 9-11 airplanes (the one plane that fought back and crashed in a field). I must say that it's pretty realistic and crazy how it was portrayed. You know, it would have been really funny(and by that, I mean stupid) if they had some sort of Titanic-ish love story in there somewhere. However, it seriously would have been awesome if they somehow had some twist ending where all the passengers ended up living in the end, AKA Hollywood/Disney ending. But this movie was a documentary, not a parody.

Overall, this movie was pretty horrible(except for the last 25-30 minutes), yet it'll do amazing in the box office only because of those 9-11 fanatics.

The entire time I couldn't stop wondering why Quentin Tarantino was playing the terrorist pilot with Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) as his bomb wielding sidekick. Seriously check it out, the resemblance is creepy.

Bottom line - wait for this thing on DVD. Seeing it on the big screen will only give you a headache...plus you can't scan through all of the boring ground bullshit in the first hour if you see it in theaters.

First hour or so: 1/2 out of 5 stars
Last reel or so on plane: 4 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-28-2006 08:43 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Brad, I wish the f*ck you'd STOP "pussy-footing" around and tell us what you really feel!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What ever happened to the F-T rule that we were not to review films prior to their release?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2006 09:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"United 93" was released today, 4/28, same date as on Brad's post. [Confused]

For what it's worth, U93 has a 93% favorable rating on rottentomatoes.com, averaging 8.3 on a 10 scale. I'll probably see it this weekend.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 11:14 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

One "spoiler" question. In the end, do they show the passengers ever getting into the cockpit and trying to gain control of the plane? The reason I ask is that will go a long way to determining how "accurate" it is. From the released voice recorder transcripts it is clear that the terrorists put the plane down on purpose.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-28-2006 11:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was made before the transcripts were released, so they guessed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2006 12:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, we gave up on that awhile back. A sucky movie will still suck on it's release day anyway.

Lyle - spoiler answer ahead - blah, blah, blah, blah, stop reading, blah, blah, yes they make it into the cockpit.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 11:06 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Overall, this movie was pretty horrible(except for the last 25-30 minutes), yet it'll do amazing in the box office only because of those 9-11 fanatics.
Couple of things I noticed as I read Brad's review was that I was thinking the same thing through much of the film, but probably not as harsh as he writes. Moreover, I don't think this film will become as "classic", or definitive statement about events on Flight 93 as future generations will reject it as too documentarian in its approach to the subject matter.

Not to bring up old wounds, but i remember walking out of Passion of the Christ thinking that I just saw what could have been the best film of the decade, not because of its subject, but how it was presented. I didn't get any sense of that from United 93.

Bottom line, it is a film for those that lived through 9/11. Thats all.

[ 04-29-2006, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Mehocic ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-29-2006 12:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
First and foremost, hold the godamn camera still!!! I am so sick and tired of this bullshit "style" of cinematography where the director knows his movie isn't all that suspenseful and tries to make up for it by shaking the hell out of the camera in a lame attempt to try and get the viewers on the edge of their seat and tense because they can't see what's going on.
Brad, that's from director Paul Greengrass, the maker of The Bourne Supremacy. Here's something you wrote in your review of that movie that made me laugh out loud:

quote:
I am going to have to find this director and clamp his head in a paint shaking machine for two hours so he can see the kind of shit he is making. This movie gave me a splitting headache and is worse than Anchorman. Yes that's right, that officially makes this movie the worst movie ever made. Avoid it and all of this director's work like herpes.
Dang, Brad. Looks like you forgot about avoiding that guy's work.

I hated The Bourne Supremacy too. It sucked ass. Not just from the poor camera work. Overall it just sucked. It was nowhere near as good as The Bourne Identity.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2006 03:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Couple of things I noticed as I read Brad's review was that I was thinking the same thing through much of the film, but probably not as harsh as he writes.
I did not write that part of the review, I just thought it was pretty accurate.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Dang, Brad. Looks like you forgot about avoiding that guy's work.
Well crap. Will someone please start posting "avoid this movie" threads whenever that fucktard makes another movie?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-29-2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Greengrass has They Marched Into Sunlight in production. The Vietnam War era movie will be released sometime in 2007. Greengrass is also signed to direct The Bourne Ultimatum, also due for a 2007 release.

I find it disappointing they didn't get Doug Liman to direct the third installment (since he directed the first, and far superior, installment of the Bourne saga).

I'd like to see United 93 just to satisfy my curiosity about the movie. However, it isn't playing at the one good theater in my town. Universal put it only in the suck-ass Central Mall theater. Guess I'll check it out on DVD unless I happen to visit Oklahoma City or Wichita Falls anytime soon.

Rotten Tomatoes tomato-meter had it rated as high as 95% yesterday, and now currently has it at 93% (113 pro versus 9 con reviews). The average on well established critics have it at 97%. That consensus is what has me curious to see it; otherwise I might not bother. I don't usually go out of my way to watch movies that are bound to piss me off.
[Razz]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree about the set up on the ground / FAA / military ... etc. I found that part of the film quite intriguing. The dialog wasn't all that technical or difficult to follow.

quote: Brad's friend
At one point of the movie, I thought that the planes had hit the WTC because it shows smoke coming out of the towers, but then 5 minutes later they show the first one slam into it.
(some might consider my response a spoiler)

... um, that didn't happen in the print I saw. We never saw the first plane crash into WTC, only the smoke coming from it, we did see the second one hit though. Again, I really thought this was a rather straight forward film, not all that confusing.

I enjoyed the film quite a bit. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-29-2006 07:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they use news footage for the plane crashings or did they recreate it with CGI?

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News footage (or ... it looked like it anyway). They also didn't use any crazy explosion sound effects, just like what people saw and heard on TV.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-29-2006 10:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
(Heaven help me:) I agree with Brad... it sucked! I didn't even like the last reel ...as if I could tell from the Screener DVD which was the last reel. What a contrived film!!!! Should have been a "Made-for-TV" film!

Anyhow I did think "The Bourne Supremacy" was MUCH better! HA! [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: