Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ice Age II (2006) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ice Age II (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Same shit, different movie. Once again the squirrel is the ONLY funny thing in the entire movie.

Just wait for the DVD.

Squirrel scenes 4 out of 5 stars.
Non-squirrel scenes 1 out of 5 stars.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-31-2006 03:42 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it! Ummmm, that is the squirrel part! Crappy film!

Overall: 1 outta 5

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2006 04:47 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the big deal about that squirrel? That was the dumbest part of the movie.

I was hoping to see the Diego really skinny like a cat gets when they get wet. That would have made it a better movie.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-31-2006 10:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the squirrel not only for his ridiculous and funny situations, but cuz of his outrageous persistence in the pursuit of his ("dream") goal... the acorns.

If I were a "message in films" person, I think his character sez: "Don't give up your dreams. Work hard...you'll be rewarded for your work."

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-01-2006 12:52 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Or ... "squirrels like nuts".

Kenneth Tiffany
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2006 01:52 AM      Profile for Kenneth Tiffany   Email Kenneth Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the squirrel stuff was on the trailers. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was good. The Scrat scenes are clearly inspired by Looney Tunes and the Road Runner films in particular. I think the "pole vault" scene is lifted directly from one of those films.

I did miss the "menacing" Denis Leary bits from the first movie. The Queen Latifah bits added some more comedy which I wasn't really expecting.

We only ever had 2 different trailers for the movie here so I only saw 2 of the Scrat scenes. Hopefully it's not true that ALL of those scenes were in the trailers...if so, somebody should bust some chops at Fox's marketing department.

We are getting so many cryin' babies at this movie it's not even funny. What is wrong with people?????

3.5 out of 5 for me.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2006 01:40 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well it was not the greatest , but is was just good fun , i liked it, and agree with Brad the squirrel was the highlight!
three and a half out of five.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watchable? Yes
Entertaining? Somewhat

Where was the editor? The "whack-a-mole" scene, the vultures singing and probably most of the "fire king" scene could have been cut with no negative effect on the movie.

It was worth the $5 matinee price at the local discount, first run theatre. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to pay $8.50 for an evening show at the nicer theatres.

2 1/2 out of 5.

PS - Was it the same squirrel in this one as the first? Didn't he get frozen in a block of ice and thawed out in present times in the first one?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the whole movie sort of defies the logic of time. The first one took place in the real Ice Age. This one sort of takes place in the present time with all the talk of global warming, yet several of the "species" we see are extinct now. So it's best not to even think about when it's taking place and just enjoy the ride.

I agree the whole "Fire King" segment could have been cut but I enjoyed the vultures musical number. The lyrics are hilarious.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-16-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fire king was one of my favorate sequences! How dare anyone suggest its removal. Crash & Eddie (the possum brothers) were pretty cool.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Well the whole movie sort of defies the logic of time. The first one took place in the real Ice Age. This one sort of takes place in the present time with all the talk of global warming, yet several of the "species" we see are extinct now.
I think it was supposed to be taking place during the thaw out from the ice age, not in the present. Of course, I don't think the time between the ice age and the thaw out was quick enough that the same characters would still be alive. Wasn't the squirrel frozen in the first one and then thawed out in the present? I guess it is best not to think about it.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-18-2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repeat after me: "It's just a movie, a cartoon at that, and it doesn't have to make sense, just entertain."

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2006 09:51 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim has hit the nail on the head so to speak, It is a toon and the kids just love it!
At the close of a recent session I asked an elderly lady what she thought of it, she said it was a great experience just sitting there listening to the roar of children laughingwas enough to make her night.
If we put complicated scientifically correct animated films out there , the kids wont laugh as much. Look as the fun Warners had with the ACME products.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-19-2006 08:15 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find sometimes that the humor works BECAUSE of an underlying understanding that what you're seeing is impossible, as in the case of those ACME products.

However, if oversights to continuity, or similar things, exist with no bearing on the humor, then I would see those as flaws, something that could have been better written to make a higher quality product. [Big Grin]

But, I heartily agree that hearing an auditorium full of kids (or adults, for that matter, in any other movie) in bursts of laughter, whether or not the content was "actually" funny, is a good feeling that makes me smile (or, in some cases, roll my eyes ... I'm sorry, but some things people laugh at are just NOT FUNNY!) [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: