Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 16 Blocks (2006)

Author Topic: 16 Blocks (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2006 06:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The entire movie I was so praying and hoping that someone would shoot the black guy that Bruce Willis was protecting. He was SO DAMNED ANNOYING HE DID NOT DESERVE TO LIVE! Seriously, he needed to stop mumbling and just shut the fuck up.

I would've given this movie a higher rating had it not been for the painfully annoying voice of the black guy. (I didn't even keep up with the character's names because his voice was so annoying. I also couldn't understand a lot of what was being said, which didn't help matters much. This guy sucks all ass as an actor and I hope he NEVER gets another role.)

BTW, this movie is terribly predictable from beginning to end.

1.5 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-03-2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Dick Donner was watching the old Clint Eastwood movie "The Gauntlet" for ideas.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 08:03 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a well paced, entertaining "popcorn" movie. Yes, Mos Def (I guess Mos is pronounced like most without the "t") sounded like somebody doing a bad Mike Tyson impersonation. Other than that, while not an oscar contentder, it was good for what it was. Audience was involved, cheering at some points for the "good guys."

I would have to say that this was the best non-"event movie" that I've seen in a while.

3 out of 5 stars

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-05-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
Audience was involved, cheering at some points for the "good guys."
Odd, I was rooting for the bad guys. I just wanted Mos Deaf to die so he would shut the hell up! [Razz]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 04:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 11:55AM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #3, probably SR•D. Attendance around 10. No presentation complaints, looked and sounded good. The print was very sharp and detailed.

This won't win anyone any awards, but it's pretty OK. At least it doesn't suck. There's a scene that seems totally out of left field (in the bus). What was THAT? David Morse makes a great bad guy. This wasn't Bruce Willis' best performance ever, but I don't think it's entirely his fault, it's partly the screenplay. Mos Def wasn't as annoying as I expected him to be.

I'm feeling generous today, so 2.875 stars out of 5. I wouldn't strongly recommend it though.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I counted 14 producers credited on the poster and newspaper ads. FOURTEEN!!! One for each block...almost.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have to agree with the assessment of MOS DEF's performance (he reminded me of a character on OZ), the rest of the movie was predictable but somehow watchable (I also thought about THE GAUNTLET towards the end). I happen to like Bruce Willis when he plays these everyman caught in unlikely scenario roles. He helps give an aura of believability to them. If onlyi he could have put some duct tape on Eddie's (was that MOS DEF's character name?) mouth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: