Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Freedomland (2006)

Author Topic: Freedomland (2006)
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Samuel L Jackson is back, he's pissed, and he's preachin again.

At first glance this one kind of feels like the Forgotten, also starring Jullian Moore. This time though the end is just a little bit different.
All throughout the film there's hints and anyone with half a brain can see the end coming from a mile away. Moreover, just when you think it's over, it just keeps on going.
This movie was easily 30 minutes too long.

*Slight spoiler relating to authenticity of characters below*

Now, let's talk quickly about the cops...Oh so fake...
Detectives, cops, et al do not act like the guys in this movie, not the main characters. Now, the smart-ass beat cops I could believe but not any of the main stars.
And the radio banter. Grossly inaccurate and not very believable at all. That kind of took away from the credibility of the story.

2/5

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-25-2006 06:30 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Moore irritated me so much! Puffy-eyed, distraught, pouting, moaning, distressed, etc. ... it's okay if that overacting happens at a key scene or two, just to fill your "Oscar-quality moments" quota, but this is her character EVERY SECOND of her screen time. And it seemed as if the writers couldn't end a scene properly, so they just had her get more uncomfortable, start screaming or something, and then the dramatic moment stemming from the struggle would suffice as a good place to cut away.

Jackson was just okay. He's a bad-ass, and nobody can take that away from him ... even when, like I said, he was "just okay."

I had to hear this movie playing, over and over, while building our new IMAX feature, and if I hear Julianne Moore shriek one more time, I'm going to do something drastic ... say, turn down the volume ALL the way! [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: