Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)

Author Topic: The Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best film I've seen this year, and actually I've seen a lot so far this year. Sir Anthony Hopkins gives one of his best performances in I don't know how long, as Burt Munro. Of course this film has its happy moments, and its uplifting moments...but thats what you go to see. I'm sure some of our friends from down under know of Burt and his achievements. I give this film a solid 5 out of 5, I really enjoyed this film and plan on seeing this one a couple more times before it leaves the art house. GO SEE IT!!! You won't be disappointed

|  IP: Logged

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 12:26 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a review for this film here three months ago and I've been waiting to see what the American reaction would be. I had wondered if there would be some difficulty with the southern NZ accent.

While much of the film's appeal may be common to most, it does require buying into the New Zealand culture to some extent, which probably seems foreign to many living on the other side of the globe. Part of this was a philosophy, that one can make anything work with just the minimum of basic resources. Mainly through necessity from the county's isolation, in the early days, the "number eight fencing wire" approach was regarded as an attribute. This was based on the humorous theory that anything could be made from just a piece of wire.

The World's Fastest Indian has done exceptionally well in it's country of origin and is still running after three months. Naturally, it had a general release here but I suppose it will be limited to the art house circiut overseas which is a pity.

I have seen it twice and loved it just as much the second time.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-19-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark 16, Fort Collins, CO
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Analog
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: It was ANALOG
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

WARNING: Travelling at high speeds without proper safety equipment can cause spoilers

There sure is a long line at the ticket counter for 10:30 on a Sunday morning. Well I'll just use one of the automated ticket machines. Some Guy is getting really angry at one of them. Loser.

This is sort of like "The Straight Story Starring Crocodile Dundee" as it has a lot of the charm of both. Based on the true story of Burt Munro, whose dream is to come to the Bonneville Salt Flats to try and set a speed record with his 1920's Indian motorcycle.

This is a period piece set in 1967 and done on the cheap. I kept forgetting it was a period piece at all. The part of 1967 Hollywood is played by 2004 Salt Lake City, specifically State St, where every neon landmark you see (save for MAYBE the motel) is there today. They even used a Sonic Drive-In as a backdrop. Sonic's brand on their signage is blacked out but the sign board isn't, and I didn't think to look to see if they bothered making sure any price listed on it had 1967 prices (I'm actually not sure it had a price listed on it at all).

What he doesn't have in cash he manages in charm. Nearly everybody he meets ends up wanting to help him, from the cross-dresser desk clerk to the highway patrolman who busts him doing 150mph.

The whole movie is charming. That's what makes it good.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-19-2006 05:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #6, SR•D (most of the time anyway). Regal picked this up after the independent Bijou Arts Cinema dropped it. I don't know for sure where Regal's print came from, but it had some VERY rough patches in it, including scratches and dirt, and a few splices with frames missing. It was mostly OK, but obviously not a new print and whoever handled it prior to Regal should hang their head(s) in shame.

I loved this movie. From the first scene, Sir Anthony Hopkins is this slightly eccentric Burt Munro character from New Zealand. He plays the part perfectly. For sure, there's some sappy feel-good stuff going on but the character is just so damn likable, you can't help going along with it. I don't know how much the filmmakers embellished the story of Munro's first visit to the US. Maybe a lot. But it's entertaining and engrossing storytelling. A small movie that makes a big impression.

4 out of 5 stars from me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2006 10:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definately one of the best movies I've seen in the last 10 years. What makes it great is that there is nothing phony about the story, everything in it is true. Check out this web site about Burt Monro AFTER you see this film because of spoilers. He was quite an amazing person and lived out his life long dream of racing his 1920 Indian Motorciccle on the Bonneville Salt Flats The acting is superb and the roles are filled perfectly right down to the rattle snake. Anthony Hopkins is superb.... he doesn't play Burt Munro.... he is Burt Munro through and through.... This film will uplift you and make you feel good. Burt's story WILL turn your rotton day into a good one. I've seen it twice in two days!! Don't miss it! And yes, I am convinced that birds do fly backwards in the Utah desert to keep the sand out of their eyes [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-02-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame this movie hasn't gotten more exposure. According to boxofficemojo.com it's done about $9M total ($4M domestic and $5M foreign). The production budget is listed as $25M. Its widest release was 251 screens.

This will be a must-own DVD for me. [thumbsup]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2006 04:30 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good Little Old Lady movie. All three theatres I looked in were well stocked with older couples. This is the type of movie they could leave in release for a year with their 250 prints and just keep moving them around.

I enjoyed watching the film as well. Although It wasn't my favorite of the year, I did like it very much.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: