Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Keeping Mum

Author Topic: Keeping Mum
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Attendance: Metro Boronia Cinemas 9 P.M. Session Sunday 5 Feb 2006.

Very quiet night at Boronia tonight - I was the only patron! I virtually went Gold Class tonight. I wandered into the theatre and looked at all the empty seats and said to my self "Now where's the sweet spot? (the best spot for viewing the film)". [Smile]

Presentation was good although there was a little flicker. This was not a concern as I had spoken to Tom, the manager before the film and he had warned me about this and that he was seeking to rectify the problem. In any event it wasn't severe. It is nice to go to a cinema where you know that the management and staff care about presentation.

Now to the film. Like many Australians I am a big fan of Rowan Atkinson and any film with Maggie Smith in it is bound to be good. I wasn't disappointed. Keeping Mum is a charming film. Its subject matter is quite dark (murder and a psychotic killer) but some moments are hilarious. The style of humour is quintessentially British, absurd yet at times understated. It really shows how a really good and entertaining film can be made on a relatively small budget.

Maggie Smith gives an excellent performance and fits the role to the tee. Rowan Atkinson is more subdued than we are used to but still gives an entertaining performance. Patrick Swayze (should that be Sleazy?) fill in the token American role to try and market the film to those in the US. He fills the role ok but the appearance of a token American in many British comedies starts to grate after a while.

This film probably won't be a huge hit in the US due to the different style of comedy Americans are used to but if you enjoy good British humour you will get your money's worth seeing 'Keeping Mum'.

Finally I bet you'll think twice the next time some nice old lady says she'll just put the kettle on and to have a seat!

8.5 stars out of ten.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: