Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Annapolis (2005)

Author Topic: Annapolis (2005)
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was pretty good. I thought the storyline was good and really felt for a few characters. From what I remember about the Navy, much of it was factually accurate. I also wanted to see this for my second favorite actress next to Scarlett.....Jordanna Brewster.....she is so hottttttttt........Definaltely a Greco Factor of 8 for her

b+
3.85973/5

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 06:32 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to the director - when referring to a Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy, the proper "short title" is Commander, not Lieutenant. The two grades who are referred to as Lieutenant are Lieutenant and Lieutenant, Junior Grade. One has to wonder if the movie had been "West Point" if a Major General would have been called "Major".

Otherwise, it was an ok movie.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 07:09 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few friends that work over at Keyport (WA ST) and a note was sent around advising everyone that the Navy did not participate in this film because they didn't like the way things were potrayed and many of the things said. So it was made without Navy support or their accuracy.

Also my friend went to Annapolis and we saw the trailer for it when we went to see King Kong. All he could say was "I don't think so" and "Bull Shit" and that was just the trailer

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2006 08:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it an probably won't. Roger Ebert's Review is amusing though.

Samples:

quote:
...Gaze with sad eyes upon this movie, for it is a cautionary lesson. It is the anti-Sundance film, an exhausted wheeze of bankrupt clichés and cardboard characters, the kind of film that has no visible reason for existing, except that everybody got paid.
quote:
There is a subplot involving Jake's fat African-American roommate, nicknamed Twins (Vicellous Shannon). There is much suspense over whether Twins can complete the obstacle course in under five minutes by the end of the year. If I had a year to train under a brutal Marine drill sergeant with his boot up my butt, I could complete the damn obstacle course in under five minutes, and so could Queen Latifah
quote:
Here is a movie with dialogue such as:

"You just don't get it, do you, Huard?"

"I don't need advice from you."

Or...

"You aren't good enough."

"I've heard that all my life."

Is there a little store in Westwood that sells dialogue like this on rubber stamps?

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 08:14 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been better if he said:

"You're not good enough, Huard"

"Thank you, sir"

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2006 10:50 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, wouldn't it be "Sir, Thank you, Sir!"

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-29-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching the trailer for the first time a few weeks ago, I had the desire to see the movie when it came out and I knew I would enjoy it. Yes, they could have done more research on military protocol and seek advice and suggestions from the Navy about the the way first year students at Annapolis are trained but the movie did what it was suppose to do - Entertain. It did that and more especially with Jordanna Brewster in it.

I give the film three stars out of four

-Claaude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: