Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Brokeback Mountain (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain
Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew this film had a gay subplot going into it ... thought it would be a Western with a gay subplot ... turned out the Western part was the subplot ... was not impressed. 67% of the screeners walked out on this one 40 minutes into it after a fairly long love scene.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Should I, or, shouldn't I?
Do I want to see it?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet. But Bruce, why would you have to ask a question like that? SEE IT! Then post a review... JFC!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-01-2005 11:35 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer for this about a month ago. It made no bones whatsoever about the plot, and by the end of it, the audience was in hysterical laughter.

So I give the trailer two stars for unintentional comedy.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The previous post was unintentional. I had a friend over, and he typed that and entered it. I was outside at the time, and unaware what was happening.

I plan to see this film as soon as it hits the Asheville area.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 12:50 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most controversial thing about this movie is just how uncontroversial it feels when watching it. The so-called sex scene has nothing on an episode of Oz, for example, and the film plays at a lyrical, slow (but not boring) pace. It deals with love that basically is unfulfilled, and that is almost a universal theme everywhere, gay or straight. The film gives a sense of reality to the situation by downplaying showy "dramatic" scenes. The film really hits home that we really are a product of our upbringing, and how difficult it can be to break out of our comfort zone. Watch for Heath Ledger to get an Oscar nod.

(Screening: The Grove, Los Angeles, Sat, Dec 10, 11:15a. Complete sell-out, as it was on the other two screens showing the film at least through 7pm). Design question: What kind of idiot actually puts a green exit sign at the bottom left hand corner of the screen, protruding into it? And then projects enough overhang off the bottom of the screen to also light the rest of the sign? This couldn't have been an accident in this one screen. I've seen it in two others here).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt I'll ever see this one, but it sure is making for some funny comedy on the late night talk shows.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-14-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running this film for the last few months for critics and now academy/guild screenings. It's been doing full houses on every showing.

It has broken 2005 box office records by scoring the Highest per-screen average. It opened in just five cinemas in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco and took in an estimated three day box office total of $544,549, an average of $109,000 per screen.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is just dying to know what the 'Greco Factor' is!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-14-2005 11:43 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet. But I'm really surprised at the pre-judged (well maybe not) at the dumbass comments from BOTH Mikes. I would have expected more from Montana Mike... the other Mike... Ummm Yeah...

Happy Holiday and/or Merry Christmas y'all! [Smile]

[ 12-15-2005, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What comment by either Mike is dumbass?

Montana Mike simply stated that he probably wouldn't see this one. I'm sure he has said that about many films that didn't interest him. I probably won't see "The Family Stone." Is that a dumbass comment?

Atlanta Mike simply stated facts about the screeners and then said he didn't like it. He also stated facts about the content of the Movie. What was dumbass about that comment?

I think you're being overly sensitive here. I appreciate the reviews from all angles so that I can decide if this will interest me. I see movies to be entertained and enjoy myself. Just because I don't think I'll be entertained by a particular movie doesn't make me prejudiced against people who's lifestyle is part of it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Paul actually posted a review on this thread. [Wink]

(Although I'll admit, I'm dying to hear the Greco factor! haha)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-17-2005 09:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good. Actually, it's very good. The trailer pretty much gives away the entire plot; thus, I don't see any need to recount it here. Both of the main actors performed well, and the scenery is gorgeous. My only real complaint is that I thought that the pacing was a bit too fast--I would have enjoyed more lingering shots of the scenery in the first third (or so) of the film; I find this sort of odd because most of the reviews that I have seen have indicated that the pacing is "slow"--I can't agree with this assessment at all. I can recommend the film to anyone who is not offended by the subject matter. The makeup of the audience was interesting--there were a surprising number of (apparently) married couples and seniors...it was a pretty mainstream audience, overall.

One other gripe: the print that I saw wasn't particularly good. Projection was fine, but the print itself just wasn't sharp. This is a film that is crying out for sharpness and accurate (but not necessary vivid) colors, and the print that I saw didn't do it justice. I'm also surprised that it wasn't filmed in scope. Whatever...it's still a good film and is up with "Good Night and
Good Luck" as my two favorites for the year. And I say this as someone who isn't normally fond of westerns or "gay" films.

Oh, and the Greco Factor is approximately zero.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Anne Hathaway and Michelle Williams?

I do admit, I will see this just to see what all the hype is about. I hear it is great cinematically

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it 3x this weekend.

A-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: