Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hoodwinked (2005)

Author Topic: Hoodwinked (2005)
Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this film. Good humor that is pretty clean. I won't compare it to "Shrek" as it's pretty independent from that. No real adult humor to it just mature rather than adolescent. I particularly like the squirrel character.

Not a break through on animation but enjoyable and up to par with the time. At one point the way the wolf was talking was not highly believable. (Looked more like a puppet to me.) Overall if you are interested in a few laughs and a pretty enjoyable story, I'd recommend this film. 4.5 out of 5 stars as it's not the best film but damn close!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 12:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw quite a bit of this on Friday. I liked what I saw alot and I look forword to seeing the entire film. It has a more old fashioned anumation look to it.

Note that this was made by 2 independent film makers that had gotten some attention at Slumdance a year or two ago. The film they exhibited there was not really a markatable film but there was promise seen in them and they were asked to come up with something markatable... this is their result.

Mark

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 03:40 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
380 danish cinema people (that's about all of us) have been together for four days this week to watch upcoming films: lots of fine stuff, and a few great: One of the great ones was "Hoodwinked" - the most hillarious, crazy animated pic for many, many years: Especially the five or so minutes, where "Japeth The Goat" rules, spanking our laugh-muscles to the outer limit, saving my day after watching Steve Martin try to do Inspector Clouseau..

[Big Grin] Per

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 05:31 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be the squirel. I don't know what it is about squirels but you can add twitchy to the list along with scrat as coolest animated characters of all time.

I loved how this movie cleverly took this simple faerie tale and tarantino'd it through all these different stories.
Great piece of work. Looking forward to more from these guys.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2006 07:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The concept of different points of view for stories is nothing new.

It was pinoneered by Kirosawa in "Rashomon" in the 1950's. Rashomon itself was remade in an 'americanized' version as "The Outrage" starring Paul Newman in 1964.

Ain't nothing new in Hollywood.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this one a lot. Great storyline, hilarious dialogue, enough action to keep the kids interested, didn't insult the adults' intelligence, some pretty good (and nicely short) songs, and one great BOOM on the soundtrack when the cable car exploded. [thumbsup]

4 out of 5 for me.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 05:34 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance Lunar Drive-in theatre Melbourne Australia 2 Sept 2006 Earlybird session

With my discount voucher (these are easy to get) I paid $A12 ($US9) for myself, my wife and my two kids to go see this film -great value indeed.

I wasn't sure what to expect having noted that the reviews on Rottentomatoes were mixed however I was pleasantly surprised. The animation was of a high quality, but more importantly the film had a certain edginess to it with original characters such as the Mountain goat.

My family enjoyed it very much however if I have one criticism it is that the film is full on with action and I would have preferred to see a little more light and shade - ie a few more quieter, reflective moments in the film.

Good character development, unusually good and imaginative script and great animation. I should add that it has an excellent soundtrack. As I have said before I count myself fortunate to be living in a golden age of animation.

8 out of 10. Well worth seeing.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: