Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Producers (2005)

Author Topic: The Producers (2005)
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This certainly was interesting....Overall very good, but I found myself counting the numerous continuity errors. I laughed at many parts and found it entertaining.

6/10

Uma Thurman gets a Greco factor of 7 on this one. Pretty damn hot.

I liked everything about this presentation except the wonderful emulsion scratch dead center on the screen for about 10 seconds in the final reel. (Saw it at the Regency 20)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uma's about to hit the wall I think. How does this compare to the original?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the original, but my Dad says it is pretty good

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a great affection for THE PRODUCERS. I saw the film in its original run. I know, one of the very, very few. It was Brook's first film, and few knew of him. It was crude, outrageous and one of the funniest films I have ever seen. To me, the original SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER number is the single funniest scene ever put on film.

I'm not sure how to compare this musical to the original. There are some major changes to the plot that I found refreshing. They have eliminated the Dick Shawn "Hippy, Dippy Hitler" character, probably the weakest spot in the original film, in my opinion.

The film is at its best when Broderick and Lane are interacting. There is a very special chemistry between these two that is very hard to define. Nathan Lane would normally overpower a weaker actor, one that Broderick appears to be. But Broderick has an underlying strength that allows him to be Lane's equal when they are working together.

Another strength of this film is using Gary Beach and Roger Bart as Carman Ghia and Roger De Bris. These are master Broadway actors who know how to carry a performance.

The film is a bit too long, with a big dead spot coming in a number between Uma Thurman and Matthew Broderick about 1/2 way through the film.

One of the problems with the original film is the natural let down after the SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER number. This film solves that letdown with a farcial scene between Bloom, Bialystock and Liebkin. I enjoyed that.

There are a LOT of things going on during and after the credits. Be sure you pay attention. I especially enjoyed the singing of one of the songs from the film as a ballad, much in the style of the Disney musicals.

One change I would have made is to allow the actors to directly sing. Lane and Broderick are not good at lip-synching, and there are some almost painful moments. These guys are professionals, let them sing it as they act.

Lots of Broadway actors scattered throughout. Fun to watch for them.

Most of the audience (mostly a younger group) stayed to the end of the picture (including credits) and applauded!

Seen at Marcus 17 Crosswoods. Sound and picture quality very good. Marcus must be getting hurt by the new Rave 16 a few miles away as Marcus is charging $6 for all evening shows.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-29-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw original film version. Am going to this one, too, BUT there is really only ONE Zero Mostel in terms of POWER. Louis

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, hear !
Nathan the Lame will never be able to replace Zero, as can't Broderick take over after Gene Wilder. -And go on: Dick Shawn, Kenneth Mars no-no-no !
But Uma... that's another story...
All that said, I think, what they've added since 1968 is what makes the new film too long. Those original few song numbers - which are still there, thank God - were - and are true earhangers, while the rest will be forgotten before the end of the end credits. I had fun - not great fun, but fun, mostly by revisiting some old and well-known material. A new audience, who has not seen the original, will not have the same experience.
The film was very delayed, and has only just opened in Denmark.
I really did want to run it, and booked it long before it premiered, allthough I was certain, it would be weak. -And weak it was: While the theatre-version, which premiered in Copenhagen about two months before the film, is sold out for the rest of 2006, several of the 40 first-run cinemas took it off after the first week. Opening at my place tonight, I can say - like someone mentioned it earlier: The whole audience stayed for the last credits - but he still thought, it was much too long !! One elderly gentleman, who had seen the original twice, he told me, was not very enthusiastic on his way out.
Remakes are seldom good. -Next will be Poseidon, I guess. Why ?

Grumphy Per

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-18-2006 02:47 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard....you saw it at the Regal Hollywood 20 in Sarasota? And all they did was put an 10 second emulsion scratch in it? Lucky. I spent a week seeing two and three films a day (when they were actually using film and not pre-show video projectors) and the prints were trashed big-time, even on prints that were new. Same complaint I made last year. Only this year I think it got worse. I even volunteered to bring my Kelmar cleaning unit down with two bottles of Film Guard when I got to town, but no one seemed interested in that.

You stayed to the end of the credits? Did they let all of the tail leader run out with sound and dowser still opened like they did for EVERY film they ran in the festival? Someone's gotta slap those Regal splice jockeys silly.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2006 08:04 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was the Recency 20 (AMC) in Brandon, FL. Now that you told me about the Regal 20, I'm going to steer clear of there though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: