Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fun With Dick And Jane (2005)

Author Topic: Fun With Dick And Jane (2005)
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 09:36 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found it amusing, yet somewhat predictable at times. Loved the ending and the first ending credits. (Note to self: Brush up on history of companies doing shady things. Knew about Enron, Worldcom and Adelphia. What is the deal with Tyco?)

BTW, this is not the thread to discuss this if you know. Must keep the FT Police at bay. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-28-2005 06:10 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly a waste of time, but if in a positive or negative way, that's obviously up to the individual viewer. I was bored most of the time.
As always, basically all the good gags were in the trailer.
I did laugh hysterically though in the one scene in which they are dressed up as hitech burglars and Carrey makes all these robot sounds. That nearly killed me.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this film, its good to see Carrey in a good comedy...I was laughing threw the whole thing, and like Micheal I could not stop laughing when Carrey was doing the sound effects. A great scene. all in all I give it 3.5/5

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Good, I also loved the ending and the first part of the credits, although my little brother had no clue about Enron.

Tia Leoni gets a Greco factor of 6 this film. She is actually pretty hot.

Overall this movie gets a 7.43256/10 for me.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-31-2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 12
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: A bit shaky, at least to start
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Satellite Snack Bar Guy is looking at us like he's saying "I REALLY don't want to be here. No, seriously. REALLY don't want to be here." Poor guy. NOW GET ME MY POPCORN

Some of the pre-show slides have been inserted in the slide projector incorrectly. One is in backwards. Then one is in upside down. Then sideways. Wife #1 thinks this is hysterical and is laughing loudly each time it happens. Ridiculously loudly. Embarrassingly loudly. LOUDLY.

I watched the original as part of a double-feature behind "The Big Bus" in 1977 at the Coliseum Theatre in Ketchikan, Alaska. That was a fun night at the movies. I've always been fond of it, even though it isn't exactly Oscar material.

I'm fond of this one for the exact same reasons. It was WAY funnier than I expected based on reviews, and it was pretty true to the original, right down to some specific scenes...even if they didn't recreate the best crime in the original (when Segal and Fonda were applauded by phone company customers for robbing the phone company.)

Was I the only one at the end of the movie singing "So long and thanks for all the fish" to the music? Talk about stealing...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-31-2005 11:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, 7:20PM, Cinemark 17 in Springfield, House #9, DTS. About 3/4 full. OK presentation, no complaints. I noticed tonight the whole place is starting to look run-down: burned-out neon, dirty carpet, sticky floors. Many of the pre-show slides are so badly faded they're almost unreadable and there was no MovieTunes playing (maybe that's a good thing). Not to mention there were overflowing trash cans and popcorn littered everywhere. I understand they're busy tonight but sheesh. There's a new 15-screen Regal coming to town - You'd think Cinemark would be a little more concerned with appearance. Maybe not.

The movie was mildly amusing for me at best. One funny gag was Dick & Jane's son who spent more time with their Mexican housekeeper than with his mom and dad, so he spoke Spanish all the time.

Did anyone notice in the scene where Dick hangs out with the illegal immigrants looking for work as a day laborer that the background music was lifted from "Lemony Snicket"?

Overall I give this a 2 out of 5.

[ 01-01-2006, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2006 11:29 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Wife #1 thinks this is hysterical and is laughing loudly each time it happens.
Wow Sam, how many wives do you have?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-02-2006 07:59 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Gonzalez
Wow Sam, how many wives do you have?
When it comes to going to the movies...ONE TOO MANY.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2006 09:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's this one compared to the '77 version with Segal and Fonda?

Ran that original in the early spring of '77 and we were advertising a 1 minute teaser with this movie of an unknown space cowboy movie called "Star Wars". And at that time, nobody was really thrilled in this "Star Wars" thing - figured it would be another bunch of hooey from Fox since Fox was shelling out junk like nobody's business in the last year after "Silver Streak".

..Brother....we're we wrong....

-Monte

Matt Barth
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Matt Barth   Email Matt Barth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen the original but I think this was much smarter than the trailers show. Only thing that caught me off-guard was everything being in 2000, I kept wondering, "Was this shelved for that long?" then I clicked, no one saw these kinda things in 2000. All in all, very good movie.

---Matt

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-14-2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good Carrey comedy, although if not for him they woudln't have had much. My favorite bit was the old lady in the Costco-type store: "I'm lactose intolerant! Where do you keep the cigarettes!?"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: