Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Family Stone

Author Topic: The Family Stone
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boring stuff, why couldn't this film have gone directly to video? Too many uninteresting characters, mind you that they are poorly developed at that. Throw in the family getting together at Christmas even makes the film even sappier! I was sooooo bored screeening this that I was actually counting the cuemarks. 1 out of 5 stars.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-28-2005 06:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Why did I even watch it? Well, I was in the theater and basically done for the day, and it was the only movie which hadn't started yet, so I thought, why not?
The answer: because this movie blows.
All the same faces we have seen in too many movies and TV shows already, cranking out the same stereotype performances, lame gags and weak lines.

All of the above does not apply if you live in San Diego. In that case, you have to get all your friends together and head for the next UltraStar Theater to see this heartwarming, deeply human and funny holiday movie and buy tons of concession snacks.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-29-2005 03:48 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Ultra-Stereo
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Screen blacked out for 1-2 seconds three times during the movie (the audio continued uninterrupted)
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

WARNING: Spoilers can cause you to not want to see this movie. You'll thank me later.

Was I the only one who saw the trailer for this and thought "romantic comedy"? Boy...This movie is anything BUT. NOTHING is funny in this movie.

Sarah Jessica Parker is Merideth Morton, one of the most unlikeable female characters in the history of cinema. She is dating Everett Stone. Everett is introducing Merideth to his family, a group of eccentric cliches who...oh who cares. Everett is going to ask her to marry him during Christmas.

Merideth bombs with the family, checks into "the Inn", and calls her sister Julie (played by Claire Danes, who looks nothing like Sarah Jessica Parker and is fourteen years younger than she is.) Everett picks her up at the bus station (because you can SO see somebody like her on a bus) and instantly falls in love with her. That's fine because Merideth is going to fall in love with Everett's pothead brother (Luke Wilson) anyway. Everything blows up on Christmas morning. Oh, and Mom's dying. We end on a one-year-later Christmas gathering that is supposed to be poignant.

Destined to be a Christmas classic for rich middle-aged women who never married and have forty cats.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: