Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Match Point

Author Topic: Match Point
Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - a Woody Allen picture that held my attention. It sounded like a Woody Allen picture, but didn't feel like one. Great acting, good story - highly recommended, plus Scarlett Johansson is always a plus. Richard? Is she too old?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She is an absolute 10 on my Greco scale. She's 20 and just the perfect age for me. I want to see this when it hits local theatres down here.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "luck" theme throughout (both good & bad luck) was quite interesting.

I enjoy Woody Allen films quite a bit, and I think this is one of his best. The whole cast is great, Emily Mortimer is excellent. This is definitely one of my favorite films from 2005.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woody, Woody, Woody! You caught me napping on this one.

This film plays like a routine soap opera for the first 2/3 of the picture. Rather predictable, even. You pretty much can predict what is going to happen, until... Well, I'll leave that until you see the film.

I highly recommend this picture. It is very well acted and written.

One note...I don't think ANYONE could afford that apartment overlooking the Thames, let alone a young couple!

Scarlett, is, well, Scarlett. She has a Marilyn Monroe-like quality that is greater than her years. And, she can act.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2006 07:25 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some might consider this a spoiler ...

Mark ... the young couple didn't afford that apartment, it was from daddy.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 07:09 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done movie...but Allen seems to believe that no one ever heard of Patricia Highsmith's Ripley books and the three movie versions... [Big Grin]

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 11:04 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a wild ride.

Grade: A

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-12-2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 6
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital 1.1 (a Woody Allen quirk)/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three and one half stars (out of four)

WARNING: No turn on Spoilers when children are present

I walked by the satellite snack bar and saw that scale that was the subject of "Wife #1's Adventures at the Snack Bar" yesterday, and it became clear to me that Wife #1 is on crack. What she claimed happened couldn't have because the scale has meters on BOTH sides of it. So the guy must have just turned it around to access the power button.

If you're confused because you didn't read about Wife #1's adventures, HA HA HA! You suck. Oh alright...Go read the "Firewall" thread.

This is the best Woody Allen movie ever because Woody Allen's not actually in it. It carries all of the trademarks of a Woody Allen movie from the music to the mood to the center channel mono soundtrack, but no annoying Woody Allen. I love how Woody can take a single camera and set it up as a voyeur watching a table of a group of people where multiple conversations are going at the same time and yet it all flows.

The movie is about two people who have fallen into a good thing dating a rich brother and sister, but who seem to have a problem avoiding their attraction to each other. They're not intending to pull off a con, yet they sort of are. That's kind of broad, but I'd hate to totally spoil the movie and the way it unfolds. Let's just say things go a little...Fargo.

Word of mouth on this movie must be good because this movie moved into a bigger auditorium this week and had an unusually large crowd for a Sunday matinee. Crowd reaction walking out was mixed. Everybody thought it was good, but women seemed reluctant to say they'd recommend it.

You'll understand why by the end.

The biggest problem I had with this movie was that I just adored Chloe and therefore hated Chris. Chloe deserved so much better. But that's nothing to do with the movie itself, which in comparison to the ending of that thing I saw yesterday, unfolds brilliantly. And Chloe HAD to be perfect for this plot to work. If she'd shown a single flaw, we might not have believed things could have gone so far wrong.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, don't you ever take wives #2, #3, and #4 to a movie? [evil]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 12:08 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie ROCKED! Grade: A

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! So good I can't believe Woody Allen made it. Entire cast is excellent.

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: