Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The New World (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The New World
Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent picture ... felt extremely cut back though (the last 30 minutes were pretty rushed). Could have easily been a 3-hour picture. Probably the best film I've seen this year. It will be interesting to see how they market this one. It's more love story then anything else.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched in on my Screener DVD. What a POS! I get sooo sick and tired of the so-called "underprivileged" and "the slighted" yapping about the past and those "film-makers" that feel they MUST make a film about it!

1/2 star outta 100. Another whiner film.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you watch the same picture? The one about Pocohontas?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
Could have easily been a 3-hour picture.
Interesting point. The L.A. Times reported today that New Line has requested Malick to lose an additional 15-20 minutes of the 149 minute movie for a version that will possible be used for the general release in early 2006 (although the L.A./N.Y. openings will be the 2.5 hour cut).

(Sorry I couldn't provide a link. It is in the print edition, but couldn't find it online).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most of this was filmed in 65mm (except for the effects shots, apparently), is anyone showing it in 70mm?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Since most of this was filmed in 65mm
MOST of it? Supposedly, only a very few scenes were shot in 65mm. And there are no 70mm prints available anywhere.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-28-2005 06:05 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were asked if we could play it in the one auditorium we have that's still 70mm capable, but in the end, it didn't happen, I don't know why.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 06:35 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An art house film. Long and slow but according to one who knows the facts better than me, fairly accurate. Oncethe story got to England it looked like they were in a hurry to get it over with and ended. The fades and cuts to long blacks were very annoying.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How good could this have looked in 70mm (had it been mostly filmed in that format) anyways, considering it would have been outputted from a 2K digital master?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-10-2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Domestic Short version runs 135 minutes now.

For Motion Picture Guild screenings the longer 150 minute version will be screened.

[ 01-13-2006, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-10-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie yet, but just about everything I saw on the movie trailers and HBO First Look documentary was clearly anamorphic 35mm. Not 65mm.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 03:29 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in70mm

Written by: Thomas Hauerslev

Last year it was bruited about that Terence Malick was shooting his new film wholly or partially in 65mm and distributor New Line Cinema was checking into whether there were enough theaters to do a limited 70mm release. Although "The New World" is opening next month (25 December 2005), I've heard nothing about 65/70mm in relation to it. Is there a story here?

According to the cinematographer, Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki, he and Malick briefly toyed with the idea of shooting the film in 65mm, but ultimately opted for anamorphic 35. Apparently, they only used 65mm for a few brief segments.

Here's a preview of a direct quote from Chivo on the matter: "Our initial dream was to shoot the entire movie in 65mm, but there were so many barriers", says Lubezki. "The only person who really supported us in that idea was Vittorio Storaro [ASC, AIC]", who had mixed 65mm and 35mm on Little Buddha. "I called him to talk it over, and he said, Chivo, donīt even think about it. Shoot it all in 65!" But there are big problems with how to distribute 65 and postproduce sound for it. No one projects it any more."

The filmmakers did shoot a small amount of 65mm "for what we called Hyper-enhanced moments" when, for example, John Smith or Pocahontas has an important realization."

======================

70mm Prints?
New Line does its domestic printing on Fuji stock, which I don't believe makes 70mm.

Rick Mitchell

It looks like Terrence Malick's "The New World" isn't going out with 70mm prints, at least here in L.A. Just plain 35mm and digital sound at the ArcLight and AMC Century 15 (in underwhelming SDDS). From what I understand, most of the film was shot in anamorphic, with a scene (or scenes) shot with John Smith and Pochantas in 65mm. I'm sure most of you have read the most recent issue of American Cinematographer featuring this film. There are some *interesting* quotes from the DP regarding 70mm. Too bad 70s weren't struck.

If memory serves, this is the second time Malick has toyed with doing his film in 70mm. I believe that "The Thin Red Line" was supposedly considered for 65mm or at the very least, 70mm blow-ups. I don't have the particular issue of American Cinematographer in front of me to verify.

Best,
Bill Kallay, 24. December 2005

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 10:29 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
The new Domestic Short version runs 135 minutes now.

For Motion Picture Guild screenings the longer 150 minute version will be screened.

Isn't this a bit deceptive? One, if the 135 minute version is really an improvement, then why show a longer version to groups in order to be considered for awards?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-15-2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, there's all sorts of stories about directors and DPs considering the idea of shooting in 65mm. The New World is just the latest example of the idea being considered and then put aside in favor of 35mm. Spielberg was going to shoot 65mm on Empire of the Sun but opted to shoot 35mm instead and shoot flat as well. Some 70mm blow up prints were made though.

Ron Howard (Far and Away), Ron Frike (Baraka) and Kenneth Brannaugh (Hamlet) are the only directors in recent years who have actually gone through with shooting all or nearly all of the film on 65mm.

For all of the difficulties cited in using 65mm for feature film production it makes me ask the following: then how are the special venue filmmakers getting it done?

How is it that small crews on fairly small budgets are able to get 15/70 projects for IMAX completed while much better funded feature projects can only manage to shoot 35mm? A 65mm Panavision or Arri camera is not much bigger than a 35mm model, and they have some 65mm cameras that can work on a Steadicam. IMAX cameras by comparison are pretty huge. But crews have managed to haul those things up to the top of Mount Everest.

I'm not buying the sync sound argument either. Movie sound on the set is all recorded separately anyway -and nearly all of that is replaced in the ADR, Foley and Effects studios.

In the end, the only real argument against shooting 65mm is the lack of projection in theaters. I seem to remember a post from Brad with lots of details to show it would not be hard to convert an existing 35mm-only screen to handle 70mm. It would even be possible to have 70mm packages put together and installed to support a major 70mm release. Honestly, none of that is any more complicated than the average D-Cinema install. In fact it may be even more simple.

In the end, if a major feature movie production really wants to get it done in 65mm/70mm they'll get it done. Otherwise the "it's too difficult" argument sounds iffy to me.

I still believe in the long run Hollywood may have to resort to using larger film formats like 65mm. Computing technology is going to keep improving. Internet bandwidth is going to increase to phenomenal levels. 20 years from now viewers may be watching movies via IP that have resolutions far above 1080 HD. Sure, video camera people will try to pack more and more pixels into their CCDs, but most will be stuck at 1080 HD for the forseeable future. Large format film will have the capability to deliver much sharper detail.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget VistaVision and Technirama. Another main point of large format shooting (with the exception of IMAX) is to make high quality 4/35 reduction prints.
After shooting 65 on "Little Buddha", Vittorio Storaro insisted that he will shoot all future projects on 65 exclusively. Well that never happened...

"The New World" has not been released here yet but I will see it. None the less even though shot on 35 "The Thin Red Line" looked amazing on a huge screen. Hope this will be the same for The New World.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: