Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » New York Doll (2005)

Author Topic: New York Doll (2005)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-28-2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark 24 at Jordan Landing, West Jordan, UT
AUDITORIUM: 22
PRESENTATION: Mystery meat audio (either digital or a REALLY clean analog)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Web-O-Vision and a cropped picture
RATING: Three and one half stars (out of four)

REASONS I'M SORRY I DON'T HAVE MY CAMERA:

1. The early 90's white Chevrolet Cavalier parked next to me with its white tiger pattern seat covers, white super fuzzy dice, and personalized license plate that reads "IMASTAR". I'm half tempted to wait around for the owner just to see who said "star" is. Even odds on it being Kirby Heyborne.

2. The vomit in the men's bathroom. I walked in after the show and was overcome by a funky smell that immediately made itself apparent. It was sort of a beige color with green and red chunks. It sort of looked like grocery store queso, actually. The guy who walked in behind me immediately covered his mouth and ran for a stall to [puke] for himself. Copycat. Anyway, it was the second time I had to report something to management.

The first time was the picture. The television commercials (delivered via film, not video) played fine, but the first trailer did something funky resulting in the image being mostly above the screen. I looked at the booth and nobody was home. So I ran to the snack bar. Let me tell you something...That's quite a run for somebody who is otherwise lazy and out of shape.

A manager was just getting ready to open another snack bar line when I arrived and said "(huff huff) Picture...(huff huff)...in 22...(huff huff)...up out of place (huff huff...hand gestures...)".

He confirmed with me that I was talking about Auditorium 22 and got on the radio. A projectionist arrived just after I returned. Two other patrons had shown up, and were arguing over who was going to go report the problem. I informed them I already had.

The projectionist brought the picture down to the screen, but the problems weren't totally solved. About the top quarter of the image was gone. There was screen space available...it was just gone. A second projectionist showed up just before the feature and corrected this problem. The end result was still cropped, but not to the point where it was unwatchable.

Oh, about the Web-O-Vision...There's a thick strand of what looks like an old spider's web hanging from the ceiling about three feet in front of the screen and longer in length. Not only does it reflect on the projection light, it silhouettes against the screen. It swings slightly in the breeze of the climate control.

"New York Doll" is a documentary following Arthur "Killer" Kane, bassist for the 70's glam rock band that inspired dozens of others. The band broke up. Arthur bottomed out. Arthur became a Mormon. The Dolls reunite for one show.

Interviews include Bob Geldof, Chrissy Hynde, Iggy Pop, Mick Jones, Morrissey, some guys from Blondie, some leathery old groupies, two LDS bishops, some old ladies at the LDS Los Angeles Family History Center, and Kane's ex-wife.

You will be shocked at how much David Johansen has let himself go.

This ruled. It totally ruled. A must for fans of the New York Dolls or bands inspired by them, particularly the Clash, Pretenders, or Blondie.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: