Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Walk the Line (2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Walk the Line (2005)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-17-2005 06:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh lordy where do I begin with this one? I guess I'll start with a question. Do you like Johnny Cash's music?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES then you should probably go see this movie. I don't know how close Joaquin Phoenix protrays Cash, but I can say that the sound mix on this is quite nice, very thick and crisp. I'm not a big fan, although I don't hate his music either...but I did find myself tapping my foot to some of the songs in here.

IF YOU ANSWERED NO then odds are you should make this a DVD movie, as there are large chunks of it that you will want to scan through. In fact, once the "I'm this great popular singer/songwriter so this means I must get doped up on drugs, act like an ass and ruin my life" scenes kick in you can just skip over several chapters. We've seen it before, it's boring and something about the way this movie was done made the drug story especially boring!

That pretty well sums it up.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-17-2005 06:11 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather watch Walk The Line instead. [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-17-2005 06:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok fine, so I got the stupid title wrong! [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the screening at ShowEast (used Kodak CineServers feeding Christie projectors on the two big screens at the AMC Pleasure Island). Solid sound mix, and very competent singing by Phoenix and Witherspoon.

Most of the ShowEast audience stayed to give a round of applause and watch the credits (unusual tribute).

4* out of 5.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Cash....PHOOEY!

Joaquin Phoenix is a good actor...but not good enough to sit through country music songs.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Dubrois...PHOOEY! [Wink] [Razz]

I LOVED THIS FILM...THE 2 hours 20 minutes went by like nothing, the film started then...boom...it was over. First off let me say, I'm a huge Cash fan...and Phoenix did not disappoint in the role. He hit the nail on the head and so did Reese. If there arn't at least nodes for them this year it will be a big discrace.

Phoenix hit "Cocaine Blues" perfect. His mannerisms were perfect his facial expressions were great. I could go on and on about this film...Me I'm telling everyone to go see it, but thats just me

Oh yeah and the guy who played "The Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis was awsome, very good...better then Dennis Quid

5 out of 5

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 01:11 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see this film. But I do wonder about the historic accuracy of films like these?

Remember "The Buddy Holly Story" with Gary Busey? Well, the actual Crickets still play together, and some years ago gave a concert with Alison Krauss on the famed program "Austin City Limits". Anyhow, the Crickets had written a song special for Gary Busey, lambasting him and his grossly inaccurate film....

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 08:14 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kurt...great movie. I'm a Cash fan, so I enjoyed it.

It's funny how closely the story follows "Ray":

1. Grow up poor in the South
2. Brother killed while young
3. Leave home, get discovered
4. Become a star, do drugs, cheat on your wife
5. Become a bigger star and get caught with drugs
6. Withdrawl from drugs
7. Come to grips with Brothers death, and relationship with parents.
8. Have long and productive music career.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH GOD NO!!! Don't start comparing it to Ray, I don't want to hear anyone say it's riding the coat tails of Ray...the film was already being filmed when Ray started...........

Will,

As for historical accuracy, the screenplay was written with Johnny Cash and June Carter from both Johnnys auto-biographys that HE wrote. So I'm guessing that its going to be pretty acurate. The only thing that was "acurate" was the Jerry lee Lewis timeline got a little mixed up, and a few other little things. But as far as the story and facts of Johnny Cash, it was how Johnny said it happened.

Maybe because of there similar lives growing up, is why both Cash and Charles were two of the most prolific singer/song writers of there day?!

ok sorry, just been bothering me...and I know we are all smart here but I just don't want anyone saying it...

Yes Jermey that includes you [Wink]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-20-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, 12:15PM, House #6. Maybe 75 in the audience, age skewed older than usual. The masking was set to flat for about 10 mins. of the preshow -- I complained twice. [Razz] They did fix it. Image quality ok, sound quality a perfect 10 from me. Or is that a perfect 7? Very good mix that sounded great.

For the first half of the show, Joaquin Phonenix and Reese Witherspoon seemed like actors doing studied impressions. Not bad, but acting. Then around the halfway point, things seemed to click and they were no longer actors, they were Johnny and June. The 2:20 running time did indeed go by quickly, the story never dragged. I like this movie a lot. Comparisons with "Ray" are inevitable, but "Walk the Line" compares favorably.

3.875 out of 5 stars from me. [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I like to hear how Kurt Z.loves those STRONG "doorstop" splicers..lol)

Excellent movie! Could be in the oscars this next year for something big.

-Monte

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 07:55 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at the Cadillac 5 Monte that thing was a blessing comapred to the old broken down Neumade that we had, I liked the Neumade but it just had run its course and when we got the Strong SP35 it was a blessing...We figured if anyone ever tried to rob us all we had to do was throw that thing(if we could lift it off the counter [Wink] )at the crook and we could kill him, never got the chance to try though.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie just has the feel of an ABC Movie of the Week.

John Pommon
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2005 03:26 AM      Profile for John Pommon   Author's Homepage   Email John Pommon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Oh yeah and the guy who played "The Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis was awsome, very good...better then Dennis Quid
The Jerry Lee Lewis character was excellent. I sure hope another picture of J.L.L. is made . . . what a wild toe tappen
feature that would be.

Walk the Line was very good at times but too far & few for me . . the Cash tunes & duets with Reese W were a pleasure, yet I couldn't agree with Brad more . . . the drug drama occupied time that could have been used to display more postive sides of his talent . . . it may not have been as accurate. The decade of drug problems on top of his demons over his brother & a-hole dad neutralizes it into a boring docu drama when it could have been an exciting musical entertainer . . . but I know . . it wouldn't have been as acccurate. Phoenix gave a great performance but I think he was miscast.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2005 09:38 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it today at the Harkin's Superstitution Springs 25 5:10 show in auditorium 22.

The Kodak DLP pre-show was a technical embarrassment. A badly misaligned projector, poor sound and improper masking.

Print quality was mixed: was pretty clean but at least one bad lab splice, reel splices could have been nicer and one bad green scratch (a few seconds).

I was suprised, the music was very well done, and how Johnny and June were protrayed is what I remember.

I remember as a tyke in the early 1970's Cleveland, Ohio just how popular Johnny and June were, along with Wolfman Jack and "Big Daddy" Ed Roth. My Mom was one of those parents who did not want her child cuppupted by these influences. So, what to do? Go over to my best friends house, who happened to live next door...!

Whil in the USAF, Cash gave a concert in 1990 or '91 (thereabouts) in San Bernardino, CA. I wanted to attend, but was unable to due to my work schedule (I was stationed at Norton AFB). Anyhow, the impending concert gained a lot of publicity, and the authorities were expecting trouble. I forgot, but I do remember hearing about some rioting that did occur.....

But back to the film...I wish that it would have said more about the impact that the Cash/Carter family's music had on society, rather than completely focusing on the drugs.

Oh, one other EXCELLENT thing about the film....that WONDERFUL '65 Ford Ranchero!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: