Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-15-2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quickly paced, fun, and dark.

More of the same. Despite different directors, each film does a good job of maintaining the look and feel of the world throughout the movies. The sets and locations of and around the castle are all recognizable. Nothing particularly new this time around; except, of course, for filling in plot points and extending the story.

I know they must have cut a ton out of the book, which was much longer than the books the three previous movies were based on. However, I really got the feeling that they probably actually shot a few scenes that were cut out for time. For instance (spoiler!), when Ron and Harry are at the dance and all pissy, Ron says something snide to Hermione. It cuts to a scene of Ron and Hermione storming out, her all crying about him "ruining everything". Obviously something MUST have been cut that was clearly in the screenplay. Nothing we couldn't, in context, extrapolate, but it just seems like it jumped over something.

Effects were mostly good, and were used appropriately. One of the best CG dragon sequences I've seen in a film.

Even on our DLP, where many scenes are bright and colorful, the dark scenes are REALLY dark. Dreary, thick fog, and muddy greens make many scenes (important, key scenes) very dull, visually. I think they really overused the fog effects (spoiler!) in the maze and subsequent graveyard scene.

Not sure there's much else to say. I liked it. After I build and screen the IMAX DMR version in the next two days, I'm sure I'll have another note or two to add.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 05:38 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that a lot has been cut, but I tried to watch this film on it own right, and compare it to the book as seldom as possible (and, as I haven't read the book since it came out in 2000, that wasn't too difficult).

I enjoyed the film quite a bit. I found the Quiddich World Cup scene in the beginning to be rather awe inspiring.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 07:00 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today is Thursday. I'm getting 3 prints of this title. I wish they had arrived yesterday. Oh well, I'll see it tonight.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-17-2005 08:20 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of the books either, so I can't help but take the movies on their own. My friends, who have read them, tell me bits that have been left out of the other movies, and it just seems to me that it was useless stuff anyway, since the movies' stories work.

The IMAX DMR version doesn't appear to have had anything cut out. However, the end credits have been condensed from 18 minutes to 9, it seems.

The only really noteworthy thing I'll add is that the IMAX version, to me, was MORE bright and colorful than the DLP presentation I saw. The dark, muddy scenes were a bit richer. I was more struck by subtle differences in greens and such in the DMR. So there ya go.

IMAX is definitely the way to see it. [thumbsup] [Big Grin] Or, at least, at OUR theatre it is.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it looks like they took a three and a half hour movie and cut it down to two forty. I have to disagree as I didn't like the pacing of the film and a lot of it did have to do with the editing. Though overall I thought the movie was decent though not as good as the last one.

Did anyone else notice how Harry's hair would dramatically change lenghts from scene to scene? At times it looked like he had the Frodo thing going.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-17-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
However, the end credits have been condensed from 18 minutes to 9, it seems.
The end credits on the 35mm prints is 9 minutes long.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Did you see the DLP version on a 1.3 or on a 2K projector?

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-18-2005 12:32 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, then it seems I was misinformed about the end credits. I didn't sit through them on the digital screening at 4:00 in the morning to see first hand, so I took someone else's word on that. [uhoh] Something about them filling all of a full last reel.

The digital projector we have running Harry is the 1.3, seeing as our 2K is booked for Chicken Little 3D for a while.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 04:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Better than the third one! that 157min went by quickly!

the "Superman" feature that is coming up, by the looks of the trailer, is going to be probably as good or even better made than the "Batman Begins" - from DC comics and the production company that did "Batman Begins"

-Monte

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was good as the middle picture in the bigger story, but I'm not sure it stands as well as the others on it's own. Everyone who has seen the previous 3 films will certainly come out for this one, but I don't see it doing much repeat business, as it is not a "fun" film.

My only serious problem with the film is the actors are clearly too old for the ages they are supposed to be. I'm not sure what the producers could do about it, as replacing the leads with younger actors would not work either.

In spite of all I just said, I did like the film.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this one. I like it better than POA! I didn't like how fast POA was but thought the pacing in this one was much better. Yes, there are a lot of things they took out of the book, the only regret I have about that is we didn't get to revisit the house elves... I was hoping to see Winky!

The story for this one does get darker. The next one is more of a filler then the newest is even darker. It's the way the story is progressing and as they get older they are more aware of certain things.

As for the kids looking older than the ages they are suppose to be playing, they are not that far off, two years. There have been many actors around with a bigger gap for the age they play... I still think it works.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-18-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in what Dwayne Caldwell thinks, since he is the one who plays Harry Potter in all these movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The end credits on the 35mm prints is 9 minutes long.
Actually, closer to 12.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish they'd let me cut my hair.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-20-2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will agree that this film does not stand on its own in any way. As part of a series, it does much better, but it had not "reason" to exist as a motion picture.

The entire picture served as a plot device for a future story, instead of allowing the different aspects of this story to stand on thier own.

I actually went to see "walk the line", but the theater put the film I wanted to see in a small theater, and it was so packed that they either oversold the auditorium, or just didn't plan on it doing much business. People obviously were just getting a ticket to another show and going in. My wife and I ended up jumping over to this movie, and well, we were a bit dissapointed.

Ciao

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: