Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kinky Boots (2005)

Author Topic: Kinky Boots (2005)
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2005 06:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
106 minutes 37 seconds (so it said on the case label)

7 reels (why seven reels for a film this short?)

Print No. ENG 361 from Moving Print Distribution.

Dolby SR (Cyan Track) (Print also has SR-D, DTS and SDDS).

Print not new, but in excellent condition, probably only been to one other cinema, it's a recent release.

This is the first time I've written a review here, mainly because somebody else has usually done it months before I see a film.

This film is doing rather well. I'd not heard of it until said they'd seen it at another theatre last week, and then it turned up yesterday. It's another working people falling on hard times type of film, similar in some ways to 'The Full Monty', or 'Brassed off', but without the overtly political content of those films (particulerly Brassed off). Whether this is a god or bad point is a matter of opinion. It's also been compared to 'Calendar Girls', but I've not seen that. Throw in a bit of 'Billy Elliot' for good measure, and you've got a fair idea of what it's like. If you liked those films, it's worth seeing this one; if you hated them, you probably won't like this one either.

Unlike the other films, which are set in Northern towns, this one is set in Northampton, in the sort of South Midlands of England, a town traditionally associated with shoe-making.

Charlie takes over the family shoe-making business when his father dies. Unfortunately, this happens just as there is a down-turn in the market for traditional men's shoes; staff have to be laid off, and it looks like the old family business will close.

On a business trip to London Charlie has a chance meeting with Lola, a transvestite drag queen, who can't get decent long, high-heeled, boots that will stand up to his weight.

Maybe the firm should move into a new product line, but what will the elderly George, the tough guy Don and the other rather conservative staff of Price's Shoes make of Lola? Will they come to accept him? Will Charlie save his business, and his home? Will they get their boots to the Milan show? Will they all live happily ever after? If you've seen other similar British films of this type you'll know the answers already.

The contrast been the Lola's loud, extraverted, stage show, and his rather insecure inner self was interesting, but precictable.

At least Lola can walk in those hideous boots, which is more than Charlie can.

It's not a bad film, there are certainly some funny moments, but I think I prefer some of the other, similar films. This is a very English film, I'm not sure how well it will do overseas. It's based on a true story; I remember seeing something about the real-life version on television a couple of years or so ago.

It's a BBFC 12a certificate, and seems to attract a wide ranging audience. Auditorium about two-thirds full for two screenings yesterday and today.

|  IP: Logged

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2005 07:33 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not seen the film yet, but just to post a couple of links, the factory was originally featured in the BBC series "trouble at the top", and the beeb do a quick fact/fiction comparison

The website for the factory is http://www.divine.co.uk/

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2005 05:49 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, I remember "trouble at the top" now; typical that I couldn't remember what the programme was, but somebody from the other side of the World comes up tith the titls straight away. [Smile]

It seems that the film is fairly close to the original; it's not a documentary; it's a fictional entertainment film, based on real events. It's about as closely related to the original as 'Titanic' I suppose.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: