Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shopgirl (2005)

Author Topic: Shopgirl (2005)
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-07-2005 01:22 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pacing, tone, sentiment, and plot points are ALL very true to those of the original book! I read Shopgirl when it came out several years ago and I thought it was cute and had an insightful perspective into both sides of relationships, and was, as a whole, a quick and enjoyable read, with a couple laughs. I read it again a couple weeks ago, anticipating the film.

Ignoring some minor variants and insignificant omitted details, this film did a great job of capturing the book, and it didn't have to really fudge anything around just to make it work as a movie. It followed the chronology of the book faithfully, yet it did NOT come across as just a film adaptation of a book, I don't think. The focus on the characters had the same balance and dynamic.

Claire Danes is beautiful and has the perfect figure for the character Mirabelle. Great casting, there. I fell in love with her. Of course, I've always liked Claire Danes; and there are some very flattering shots of her. [thumbsup]

There are several funny moments and some good lines of dialog. The script wasn't flat, but it was real. It seemed a lot more natural to the nature of the situations the characters were in than it would be in, say, some typical romantic comedy using dialog just as a venue for the screenwriter to be quippy, wry, sarcastic, clever, and sappy. This wasn't a romantic comedy, and it wasn't trying to be, which was most of its appeal.

I can't say whether or not it's a good "date movie". I went with my (male) roommate because we were both fans of the book, and we both really liked it. I'm sure I'll see it again before we lose it.

I definitely recommend it for fans of Steve Martin's mellow, introspective side over his comedic sensibilities (and no, Cheaper By The Dozen doesn't fall into what I consider his comedic sensibilities).

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I didn't read the book, I found this to be a well-crafted movie with realistic situations (unlike a "cinderella" story such as Pretty Woman). Well shot (true anamorphic) and beautifully acted.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: