Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Jarhead (2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jarhead (2005)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2005 04:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a refreshingly different kind of movie. For once the military wasn't protrayed as some fantabulous life experience, but more accurately towards what it really is.

I don't think it will stand up to repeated viewings, but everyone should at least see this once.

First viewing rating: 4 out of 5 stars

(BTW, does anyone have any "join the Marines" 35mm rolling stock ads laying around? I so want to play it on this movie! [Razz] )

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 05:08 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the urge to play a trailer for Jake Gyllenhalls (or however you spell his name) next film on it.. But then figured that would cause a riot... [Smile]

It was an ok film.. I think the "negative" aspects were a bit over done (hitting a recruit can be career ending for a Marine DI) and it does not completly fit descriptions of Corps life I have heard from Marine friends or seen when I visit them on base. But, then again, this film was set 15 years ago, so who knows..

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

14-15 years ago, it was "ok" for a DI to hit a recruit, they could get in your face. Push you back, push you to the ground, do what ever they really wanted to do. Was there regulations? Yes but they were not inforced like they are now, it was just all part of bootcamp. That all ended in the mid 90s when a DI beat up a recruit for mouthing off to him. The recruit was in the base hospital for two months. Big lawsuit and discharge for the DI and the military changed its ways.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, does anyone have any "join the Marines" 35mm rolling stock ads laying around? I so want to play it on this movie!
Actually, I just got a fax from screenvision warning us NOT to run the current USMC rolling stock with this film. Go figure.

Anyway, I thought it was ok. I was expecting a little more action but I think it was really a great representation and I'm glad that the characters actually responded to the stresses of life instead of being unfaltering hero's.
They were human too.

3.5/5

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Actually, I just got a fax from screenvision warning us NOT to run the current USMC rolling stock with this film. Go figure.
HA HA HA HA HA! That's precisely why I want to run it! Those stupid ads don't reveal all of the negative aspects for joining the Marines. While the movie isn't totally accurate in today's Marine life, it's much closer to reality than those commercials.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-04-2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to see this tomorrow, and looking forward to it. As a former Marine (see story below), it will be great to see what I missed all those years.

Story Below....

Yes, I was a Marine. For three whole days. I never even made it to boot camp, that's how long I was a Marine. I signed up at 17, however my parents were against it. My recruiter forged thier signatures to get me in.

This did not sit well with my parents. They wanted me to NOT go the military route, and like a fool I jumped the gun. I could have waited until I was 18, but no. Like all teenagers, I was as patient as an egg frying in a pan.

My father was a retired Army officer that did a lot of "overseas" work. His clout with upper echelon types was high. My mother's dad was a retired Naval commander back from the WWII days. A few phone calls from both of them to the Pentagon, and my papers "vanished", as if they had never existed. At least that is how things appeared.

When I did turn 18, I tried to enlist again, however this time there would be no having me. For whatever reason, the recruiters would not say, or perhaps they just didn't know, I was not to be admitted for military service. Too much trouble I was says Yoda.

Thanks Dad. Thanks Mom. No really, thanks a lot! I actually wanted to do this, and still feel that I was missing something in my life during the first Gulf War. It will be nice to see a film that can accurately portray what life would have been like, had I been able to be there.

I will report my findings after I see this tomorrow.

Ciao

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2005 11:02 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, are you an ex-Marine?

Dave, what year was that when you first "joined" the Marines?

Oops, this is chitchat, isn't it. OK, now I'll have to see the movie and put my review in this space. [beer]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-04-2005 11:17 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 12:22 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a USAF (Desert Storm) Vet, I'll clue you'all in on a few things.

When Desert Sheild started, personnel were asked to volunteer to go on deployment, but later there was deployment.

Upon deployment, there were many "briefing's" on how military personnel were to behave while in Saudi. Lots of "political/religious correctness", as the Saudi-Muslims were very intolerant of other religious faiths and cultures. Strict dress and behavior codes for US Servicewomen, as well as a as much, much more! And the USAF did attempt, for obvious reasons, not to deploy Jewish personnel to Saudi. For example, the Saudi's would generally house flight crews in first-class accomodations. But one Jewish flightcrew member made the mistake of displaying a Mogen David pennant. When the Saudis saw this, they refused to allow him to step off the aircraft!

There were many servicewomen that purposly got knocked-up in Saudi just so they could get out of the "Sandbox". Both married and unwed women risked Courtsmartial in this manner.

With USAF personnel, there were really three distinct groups: those who stayed Stateside, those that deployed to Europe and those that went to Saudi. And there was much, much anomosity between all three groups:

Those that went to Saudi had their peacetime salaries replaced by a wartime package that actually turned out to be less than that of peacetime. But they are the ones that got the medals.

Those that went to Europe (myself Upper Heyford, UK) ended up making thousands of $$ in per-diem and other perks, but no medals.

Then there were those that stayed Stateside.

Those that went to Saudi wanted the $$, and many said that medals did not matter too much, as medals to not pay bills. But both those that went to Europe and Saudi pretty much had a hard on for those who managed to stay stateside...especially when we discovered on our return, for those single Airmen living in the barraks, that their personnal effects were violated!

More later

Cheers

K

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 12:27 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Ziegler
I got the urge to play a trailer for Jake Gyllenhalls (or however you spell his name) next film on it.. But then figured that would cause a riot...

For good measure, you could also throw in the trailer for Peter Sarsgaard's turn in THE DYING GAUL, and then prepare for the stampede! [Smile]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-05-2005 02:11 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the summer of 1984 after graduation that I "joined".

Ciao

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-05-2005 05:46 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will - what does all that have to do with the movie? Nothing, I would say. You weren't even in Kuwait, apparently.

quote: Brad Miller
While the movie isn't totally accurate in today's Marine life, it's much closer to reality than those commercials.
What, are you saying military life is not exactly as depicted in those commercials? So that means when you join the Navy, you do not automatically get to snowboard like in the commercial?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'm saying Michael. If you are a Marine you also don't get to happily climb the side of an absurdly tall mountain without any safety equipment. [Razz]

David - wake up please.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave my appologies but you can't clame the title Marine if you didn't earn it.
Too negative... yes possibly but it is about time that this stuff gets thrown out there. Not just an overglorified "war is great" movie. For those of us that have been there you just can't describe it and ever get anyone who hasn't experienced it to understand. It seems like it would be easy but you just can't. As a Marine we're not superhuman or just war hungry, blood thirsty heathans...(well some of us are) but over all we are people too and war just aint a glorious thing... it never has been!
I would say 3.98 out of 5 stars
and
Semper Fidelis

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film has gotten some knocks from critics for not having a specific point of view, but I think they miss the point. THe characters really don't have strong convictions, either, though some may express them. They are just young men trying to find themselves in this world. As such, I found it to be a powerful reflection of ambivelance without absolutely taking simplistic sides. The story wasn't about the cause, but about these men whose experiences were real to them.

Attendance: Edwards Bakersfield 14, November 5, 2005.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: