Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Capote

Author Topic: Capote
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is...

This WILL be nominated for Best Picture...

Philip Seymour Hoffman WILL be nominated for Best Actor

Catherine Keener WILL be nominated for Best Actress

Yeah, it's that good.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-14-2005 10:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
Philip Seymour Hoffman WILL be nominated for Best Actor

Mr. Hoffman grew up in Fairport NY, which is just a few miles from where I live. [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good film. And, yes, I agree that the casting was perfect. Highly recommended.

Two thumbs way, way down to Loews Boston Common for a badly flickering xenon in cinema 9. I mentioned this to the usher on the way out of the theatre and got a blank stare in return.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this in wide release? A friend of mine is very interested in seeing this but it is not on any of Fresno's 50+ first run screens...

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent film. It certainly isn't a glorified portrait of Truman Capote and it is a tribute that Philip Seymor Hoffman is playing the character with warts and all. This is one complex man and he is portayed well. A good companion piece is the Richard Brook's film adaptation of IN COLD BLOOD.

Attendance: Saturday, October 29, Arclight Cinemas, Hollywood.

quote: Daniel Fuentz
Is this in wide release?
Not yet, although it has been expanding to smaller markets with dedicated arthouses and added more theatres in big cities. This is a film that will probably go much wider during the award season.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-05-2006 04:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Oh look! It's Award season.

The Fleur Cinema and Cafe has filled its four screens with Oscar-worthy favorites "Munich", "Good Night and Good Luck", "Brokeback Mountain", and "Capote". Capote was the one I hadn't yet seen. And after the Fleur went to all that trouble to load their screens up like that, I went to the Century. I'm evil.

In a shocking twist rarely seen at a major multiplex, the total number of trailers that played before the movie was...ONE. If you're wagering, it was for "Thank You for Smoking".

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is...uh...flamboyant. It's like he's doing an improv during party scenes. I thought it played more like a highlight reel of something that took forever to actually get through, but I sure wouldn't want the movie to be any longer.

You know what somebody needs to tack on to the end of a movie like this? A blooper reel. That would be EDGY.

Kenneth Tiffany
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 02:35 AM      Profile for Kenneth Tiffany   Email Kenneth Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran this for about 3 months when it first went wide last year and got it again 2 weeks ago. Total number of tickets sold is probably still under 100. People that want to see it, love it, people who don't know what it is, hate it (or sleep through it).

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 10:29 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why play it for 3 months if so few are showing up? [Confused]

Kenneth Tiffany
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Kenneth Tiffany   Email Kenneth Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our owner doesn't know what he's doing most of the time. He doesn't know which movies to lose for some reason - maybe he checks what was big at the box office over the weekend and not whats big at OUR box office. The fact that we have to split prints with another local theatre also contributes to long runtimes for most prints. We had Finding Neverland from opening until a week after it was on DVD and people were still coming to see it(craziest thing I've seen), and were sad when it was gone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: