Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Good Night and Good Luck (2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Good Night and Good Luck (2005)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-12-2005 08:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one else has seen this? [Confused]

Excellent film. I was very familiar with the McCarthy era, but not the specific events detailed in the film. There are plenty of parallels with the current political situation in the US; identifying them is left as an excercise for the interested viewer. [Wink] Anyway, it's very well acted and beautifully photographed and edited. Check it out.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 08:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, all prints are on silver image B&W print film (Kodak 2302). Be sure you have good heat filtration and are not "hot spotting":

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f3/t001813.html

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh Oh [uhoh] ,

"Capote" now has some competition for: BEST MOVIE, BEST ACTOR, BEST ACTRESS, BEST WRITING, BEST EVERYTHING.

This movie BLEW ME AWAY! THE WHOLE CAST/CREW IS GOING TO BE NOMINATED. GO SEE IT.

[ 10-27-2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Eric Hooper ]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2005 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Hollywood! Listen UP! If you make movies for grown-ups, they will actually COME SEE THEM.

AMC Lennox 24 - 4:45 - A SOLD OUT SCREENING! We had to sit in the second row, as every other seat was occupied. (Thank you, AMC, for the comfortable head rests that made even a very close view of the screen comfortable) I was shocked. Usually, shows at this time are lightly attended. The audience was an older one...it was strange being among the younger ones in the audience for a change.

Bravo, George Clooney. Take some of that money and make something serious but very entertaining. Marvelous acting up and down the line. David Strathairn doesn't look exactly like Murrow, but he has Edward R.'s distinctive vocal rhythm. Not exactly a plot film or a character study...more of a historical retrospective.

They sure smoked a lot in the 50's!

Excellent black and white photography. Also a marvelous sung score by Dianne Reeves.

Should get numerous nominations.

I think this one will do surprisingly good business.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2005 01:24 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoking in the 1950's....

Tobacco companys were major entertainment sponsors...and their commericals and jingles were quite creative...."Calling Phillip Morris!"

Interesting, many tobacco advertisements included testamonials from "doctors" who recommended a certain brand!

Hell, I remember many of those commericals going up through the 1970's!

K.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-05-2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the days when TV hosts (as well as TV drama characters) were actually encouraged to smoke on air! This film could easily have worn out its welcome if it had dragged on like so many dramas these days, but the filmmakers wisely chose to keep it to a less than 90 minute length. Black and white photography really contributed to the overall feel of the era and gave it a somewhat more "documentary" look. The film stuck to its subject matter of the delicate balancing act news departments had to foloow in order to survivew and project some semblance of credibility.

(screening: October 29, Arclight Cinemas, Hollywood)

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wife and I liked it. We saw it at a little independent art house type theater of Bainbridge Island (The Lynwood). I'd recommend it just because of it's historical perspective.

Good Stuff [thumbsup]
Well done

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-05-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, 5:20PM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #8, SR-D. Attendance was probably around 100, mostly middle-aged, not typical moviegoers. The print looked brand new, very sharp and detailed. Unfortunately it also had some faint ghost-like wide vertical lines streaking and weaving across the entire frame from start to finish (not like scratches, almost like some kind of liquid). Not horribly bad, but noticeable. And the digital sound started "warbling" around the middle of reel 4, with occasional dropouts to analog. This continued into reel 5 but not as badly. I was too into the movie to complain but someone else did. Also, reel 5 had a LOT of random white specks in the image.

John Pytlak said this:
quote:
The prints are being edgewaxed (per SMPTE Recommended Practice RP151), so projector abrasion and dusting should be minimal. But you may notice a bit of a soft wax deposit on film contacting components between shows, that can be easily cleaned off.
Could that be related to the faint streaking I saw?

This is a fantastic film. Should win awards. David Straithairn is amazing. Everyone in it is great, even George Clooney. The 50s look is so authentic it's creepy. I gotta give credit to Clooney for making this, and like someone else said, for keeping it relatively brief. This is the kind of material some directors would have made plot-heavy and stretched out to at least 2 hours.

**** 1/2 out of ***** from me, and a Thank You to Regal for bringing it to Eugene. Too bad about the presentation issues.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be yet another show I'll probably have to look for on DVD. The nearest theater to me showing it is in Oklahoma City.

I suppose a film print could show up in Lawton (crossing my fingers for the Carmike location instead of the 12-plex at the mall) -possibly after Oscar nominations are announced. But that's barring the more likely possibility the movie will already be out on DVD by then. Shrinking release windows, you know.

I am looking forward to seeing it. Ought to be good -and quite timely considering current events.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 08:06 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I accidentally started another topic for this film. Sorry, master Moderators. (It's been locked.)

Ran Good Night and Good Luck Friday morning because none of the kids in the theatre wanted to screen that 'black and white thing.' I think it is a great little film.

One thing: In R1, during the 1958 awards segment, did anybody notice the echo in the surrounds was heard before Murrow spoke on screen? This was the only flaw that I noticed.

It's doing good business.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't see this, but from what I've read and its subject matter, isn't this at its heart a political movie?

And therefore not allowed on the forums?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was glad to see that the film steered clear of making political judgments and left interpretation up to the viewer.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what Greg said. It's more a dramatized presentation of historical events. Interpretation is left to the viewer.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good. Clooney is known for his strong political opinions, it's good to hear he checked them at the door.

[ 11-07-2005, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Matt Fields ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: