Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » History Of Violence (2005)

Author Topic: History Of Violence (2005)
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-29-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie gets the award for "Slowest Moving Movie Of The Year" - at least of the movies that I've seen. Probably could have been condensed to about 45 minutes.

[thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-02-2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a high percentage of senior citizens coming to see this for some reason. I never pegged this as an older person's movie. Anyone else seeing that?

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 12:25 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went and saw this today. I didn't like it. I found it rather boring.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 01:49 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Anyone else seeing that?
Yeah, we're getting an older crowd too. It didn't really surprise me, though... Cronenberg film, critically acclaimed ... an older crowd doesn't seem too odd. I haven't actually heard many customer reactions as to whether they're liking the film or not.

As for me, I thought it was excellent.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-03-2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are "reviews"? Where's Evil Sam when we need him?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-03-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out that everyone who posted in this thread has given their opinion of the movie except Jim.

[Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-04-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: A decent analog when the print was clean (SHOULD have been digital in this room)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: The print wasn't so clean...at least to start
RATING: Three stars (out of four), meaning Jim doesn't owe me $6.50 [Razz]

WARNING: Two all-beef spoilers, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed...bun.

Spied in the lobby...A shiny new automated self-serve ticket purchasing thingie. It didn't appear to be working yet. Sure looked cheap. Like one of those "Transnet Wireless" internet kiosks some company was trying to get people to invest in on TV. I've actually seen one of those. The Comfort Suites in St George, Utah had one. Or two.

MAN this print was dirty to start. There was one point where it looked like it had a tire tread on it. It cleared up as we went along.

This movie moves slow and deliberately. We start off with two bad guys who get a scene that exists solely to show how bad they are for background purposes. This sets up their demise at the hands of our hero Tom Stall, a small-town Indiana guy who is kind and gentle and who gives his wife head (yes, it's documented). The bad guys try to rob his diner. As they say on the late news, tragedy strikes.

Tom's a hero, and television stations cover the story well. So well that some old friends of Joey Cusack's in Philly drop in to pay a visit. Who is Joey Cusack? Well THEY seem to think it's the guy known as Tom Stall.

Like I noted previously, this movie moves slow and deliberately. Yet it also has: One little girl shot point blank while holding her stuffed animal, one sex scene involving a cheerleader outfit, one sex scene that starts out as violence and ends in the two practically devouring each other, and just when you least expect it, an evil Bill Hurt. YEAH BABY!!!

There seem to be scenes in here solely to give the movie a reasonable running time. But it's good. It may even make my top ten at the end of the year. But it would have been better with David Lynch in the director's chair.

I'm just saying.

It's NOT for everyone. I heard a guy on the way out telling his friend he thought it was the stupidest movie he'd ever seen. "There's nothing to it!" he said. His friend was surprised at him...I guess he liked it.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-05-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[I'd like to point out that everyone who posted in this thread has given their opinion of the movie except Jim.]

Jim didn't give his opinion as he hasn't seen the film because he lives seven hours by car from the closest theatre playing it and often relies on the Film Handler's Movie Reviews to get not only opinions but content "reviews" of films he can't get to as easily as others do.

Thanks Sam for your usual pithy comments laced with observations and often provoking chuckles. Now that's a "review."

John Pommon
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for John Pommon   Author's Homepage   Email John Pommon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the deal with this "budget looking" sleepy drama (with a few very decent short fight scenes) flick?
I went to see it because of the great cast, Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, Ed Harris William Hurt and the trailer but what a let down.
Yet some are calling it a masterpiece. The boring pace, the screwy scenes were so fake they were painful to watch, all in all a disppointing useless pathetic waste of cast and film.
[gee . . . I guess I didn't like this film]
Seriously . . . it really blows!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-12-2005 08:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I guess I'm weird because I liked it. It's very well acted and I didn't find it to be "slow" at all. Then again, I loved "Goodbye Dragon Inn," which pretty much everyone else complains about by saying "it's slow and nothing happens."

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 05:05 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great flick, with a Hitchcock feel.. Its survival of the fittest, It's about how you can't get away from what you are (a crazy killer!) Anyway it was well shot, well acted, the pacing was great and its just nice to see low budget Canadian films on the big screen even if its by "Cronenberg" A perfect length to... I'm tired of watching 2 hour + flicks

-Paul

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the few well-made actual story-type films of '05. Everything evolves at its own appropriate pace with original intrigue. Maria Bello is excellent. Cronenberg knows exactly where he's going with the story & if you don't have anxious friends breathing down your back about the significance of every little action, it's a great ride to the finish.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: