Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Junebug

Author Topic: Junebug
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Refreshing look at returning home, this little indie flick breaks down a lot of stereotypes. Chicago art dealer seems right at home and at ease when coming to new husband's hometown in the rural south. He's the one who seems uncomfortable by it all, having left it all behind. The film avoids showing the characters as either objects of riducule or as folksy full-of-wisdom types. Beautifuuly shot on Super 16.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-21-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: Plot spoiler follows

Agreed. Saw it in Santa Barbara during my West Coast trip last week. I was leaning toward Red Eye myself, but the friend I was with is a PhD student in film studies at UCSB, and she wasn't inclined to let me get away with Hollywood brain anaesthesia!

I thought it was very clever in that the film managed to make jokes about the rural/urban cultural divide (e.g. the artist playing games with the posh art gallery madam which she just didn't get) without being disrespectful to any of the characters.

I feared that the baby was a gonner from around half way through reel 2, though: being into slimming while 8 months pregnant is not exactly compatible with a happy ending.

Was I just imagining things or was there a vertical negative scratch (white tramline) right the way through the whole film, just right of the centre of the screen? It wasn't just on one reel, meaning that the scratch must have been on the 16mm element used for enlargement - if it was on the 35mm interneg used to strike the print I saw, then surely only one reel would have been scratched?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-21-2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Agreed. Saw it in Santa Barbara during my West Coast trip last week. I was leaning toward Red Eye myself, but the friend I was with is a PhD student in film studies at UCSB, and she wasn't inclined to let me get away with Hollywood brain anaesthesia!
But you would have seen Red Eye at the Arlington, which is beautiful enough inside to ignore the movie.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-22-2005 04:19 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We checked it out, but it wasn't showing any films that week. The entrance courtyard looked amazing, but that was as far as we got. The Fiesta, where we eventually ended up, had Red Eye as well - an OK but unspectacular 4- or 5-plex.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: