Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Red Eye

Author Topic: Red Eye
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scrappy little B" thriller that dispenses with the fat padding often seen lately. Good acting from relative unknowns combine with skillful pacing, editing and cinematography (true "scope"). Sure, it's a potboiler that would have been considered a programmer once upon a time, but it is what it is, and works well (with an 82 minute running time, no more!)

|  IP: Logged

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 10:19 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, especially the last act. A solid "B" grade.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-20-2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Best picture quality ever in this building. Relatively steady and in focus. They should try this approach ALL of the time.

The movie starts out like a new installment of the "Airport" movies. We jump around the airport meeting the primary and secondary passengers of the aircraft. It would have been kind of cool if they took it a little further...with all sorts of stupid and silly side plots going on in the aircraft. Helen Reddy could have tripped the bad guy with her guitar. That would have been awesome.

As it is, it's good anyway. It plays more like a Bruckheimer production than a Craven. Nice, punchy soundtrack. The movie grabs you where it needs to, and it gets out while the getting is good. There's absolutely nothing original here, but the parts used to assemble the finished product were spot on.

Bruckheimer needs to invite Craven over to direct an episode of CSI.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 04:52 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booooo!
Wes Craven should've stopped making movies a long time ago.
This one is almost as bad as last summers Cursed.

My big beef with it so far is the fact that there's all this killing but who cares?
None of it's suspenseful, and none of it matters because the audience doesn't have time to like any of them.
Oh, that guy's gonna die, whoopie.
Moreover, how can we really feel the anguish of the star?

Good points: Great quality picture, even on the crappy prints, and good acting on everyones part.
Anybody else get a defective SDDS track in R3?

2/5

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 06:46 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big disappointment. Was it watchable? Yes , every moment of it. But i have seen late night cable movies like Turbulence 3 that were watchable in a bad way too. Hell, the silly Cellular was watchable.

First of all, the movie starts off very nicely. The second half however delivers nothing but your typical Lifetime action movie thrills. That's the level this movie is on , nothing more.
Nothing happens on the airplane that is worth remembering or that is paid off later.

Brian Cox was wasted in this movie.

MINI SPOILER:
But this is the thing that really got on my nerves big time. There was the extended sequence where she struggles to call home. How freaking tough is it for a cute chick to borrow a freaking phone in an airport? How freaking tough was it for her to ask the clerk where she bought the damn phone to use their phone for a minute? I hate screenwriters who are so lazy or dumb they couldn't fix such a dumb scenario with a couple of simple modifications in the plot. I can suspend disbelief in a movie when people have to bend real life physics to make a chase more interesting. But this was not the case here. Seriously, instead of driving all the way home, she couldn't find a single stop where she could call home faster?

You won't have a bad time. But don't expect too much either.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-21-2005 05:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #3. Attendance: Very thin. This screen still has a weird echo/reverb in the digital sound, very apparent in dialog (not in analog though). Will probably be like that until the theater is closed next year.

RED EYE is an argument for having 2 tiers of pricing for new theatrical releases. It should be like $3-$4, all the time. It's a nice entertaining little thriller with a short running time that feels made-for-TV. Yet it benefits from a big screen and big sound and delivers the goods, for what it is. Not a bad movie at all, but certainly not worth $7-$10 at any time.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 08-25-2005 01:32 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... so after seeing the trailer about a trillion times on TV and all the little web ads for this movie... I guess it looked "good". And of course that chick from Mean Girls and The Notebook. Plus the up and "coming" actor from Batman Begins who played the Scarecrow. Anyways, it starts out ok... they actually seem like plausible characters from real life... then it just goes BLAAA after that.

Well, long story short... the trailer gave away the better story. Knowing what was going to happen next is not really fun when it comes to movies. A waste of my money and time to watch something so predictable. The last 30 minutes or so just went all out to be a pop corn flick... But hey I got some laughs out how bad it was.

I guess the guy plays an OK evil dude... I want to see him "do" other stuff besides the lead actresses in the movie. Maybe an actual GOOD guy...

I think I had more fun watching the preshow automated slides before the movie. That and those REALLY awesome music videos with bands I've never heard of in my life. [Roll Eyes]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2005 02:08 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler Review:

I enjoyed the movie up until the point where she starts kicking his ass at every turn in her house. He's suppose to be some sort of professional killer/merc, yet she was making him look downright foolish... A stooge even. He should have slapped his head and shouted "Wooo Woo Woo!" everytime she got the better of him.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-25-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER
The bad guy was at a slight disadvantage at that time, what with that hole in his trachea and all.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 out of 5 stars

If you treat it as a fun "popcorn" movie, it's pretty good. If you treat it as a serious thriller, you won't.

I enjoyed it. Great audience when I saw it cheering during the fight scenes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
How freaking tough was it for her to ask the clerk where she bought the damn phone to use their phone for a minute?
She didn't buy a phone, she stole the bad guy's phone.

The thing that didn't ring true for me was all the ultra-friendly other people on the airplane. In my experience, people go out of their way not to talk to anyone on a plane.

Max Einhorn
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Max Einhorn   Author's Homepage   Email Max Einhorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This creepy Wes Craven flick takes you on a claustrophobic adventure that
may keep you from flying for a while.
Lisa Reisert(Rachel McAdams) has just attended her grandmother’s funeral and is
taking a Red Eye flight back to Miami, where she lives and works as the manager of
an upscale hotel. After learning that her flight has been delayed, Lisa passes the
time having a drink with a friendly and charming stranger, the oddly named Jackson
Rippner (Cillian Murphy).) Once the Red Eye flight is announced and Lisa boards
the plane, she finds herself seated next to Mr. Rippner. It hardly comes as a
surprise that their initial meeting and subsequent seating arrangement are not by
coincidence. However, that is where the predictable ends and the real suspense
and terror begin. To tell too many details would be to ruin the story so suffice it to
say that Jack Rippner is a pretty nasty piece of work with some scary plans for Lisa
and her father (Brian Cox), who also lives in Miami.
The film uses many of the true horrors of flying – lost luggage, delayed flights,
turbulence, and crowded conditions – to set the scene for the kind of horrors most
of us will (thankfully) never encounter. This movie in no typical Wes Craven
nightmare with monstors hiding in the closet. Instead it is a tightly wound ninety
minute thriller in which the villain is in your face, in your head and in the seat next to
you!
Rachel McAdams and Cillian Murphy are outstanding. McAdams’ character
may be one of the most realistic and resilient horror movie heroines of all time and
Murphy is as sinister and evil as they come. Jack Rippner is no Freddy Kruger –
Freddy may be the stuff of nightmares but Jack may just be your scariest dream
come true. Thanks to a chilling performance by Murphy and masterly direction by
craven, Red Eye is definitely one of the best thrillers I have ever seen.
Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and language. Running Time 85
minutes.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally watched this on DVD over the weekend & it left me feeling unaffected with little time wasted, though.

It's a good premise, but a thin movie. I can't count Rachel Mcadams or Cillian Murphy as relative unknowns, but they log in some good moments here or there in Red Eye, none of which equal their viscious performances in Mean Girls and Batman Begins, respectively.

I thought the rest of the film was a rehash of components found in Craven's earlier work, most notably the orchestral spasms from Scream. I wasn't at all satisfied with what the film wanted me to be scared at. Some people I know were satisfied with the situational drama, but I'm still in the mood for Rob Zombie or Eli Roth-style bloodlust to haunt me.

Wes Craven should remake Last House on the Left, shot-for-shot, then we'll see who really oughta be going to "horror" films.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie tries to be too psychological and chilling for it's own good but managed to hold my interest up until the plane lands, at which point it turns from wanna-be psych-thriller to wanna-be action movie.
I've been on a plane and they're pretty small.
I find it hard to believe that no one sitting nearby overheard anything they said in conversation.
2 out of 5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: