Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005)

Author Topic: Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005)
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick and Fart jokes. Gotta love it!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The first one was stupid dumb fun. Although it wasn't great, it was just good enough for me to not dread going into this sequel.

It sucked.

1 out of 5 stars

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-12-2005 04:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert's Review (Zero Stars) is mainly devoted to making Columbia Pictures and especially Rob Schneider look like buffoons.

Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
'Bigalow' reaches new giga-low

Release Date: 2005

Ebert Rating: Zero stars

BY ROGER EBERT / Aug 12, 2005

"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" makes a living cleaning fish tanks and occasionally prostituting himself. How much he charges I'm not sure, but the price is worth it if it keeps him off the streets and out of another movie. "Deuce Bigalow" is aggressively bad, as if it wants to cause suffering to the audience. The best thing about it is that it runs for only 75 minutes.

Rob Schneider is back, playing a male prostitute (or, as the movie reminds us dozens of times, a "man whore"). He is not a gay hustler, but specializes in pleasuring women, although the movie's closest thing to a sex scene is when he wears diapers on orders from a giantess. Oh, and he goes to dinner with a woman with a laryngectomy, who sprays wine on him through her neck vent.

The plot: Deuce visits his friend T.J. Hicks (Eddie Griffin) in Amsterdam, where T.J. is a pimp specializing in man-whores. Business is bad, because a serial killer is murdering male prostitutes, and so Deuce acts as a decoy to entrap the killer. In his investigation he encounters a woman with a penis for a nose. You don't want to know what happens when she sneezes.

Does this sound like a movie you want to see? It sounds to me like a movie that Columbia Pictures and the film's producers (Glenn S. Gainor, Jack Giarraputo, Tom McNulty, Nathan Talbert Reimann, Adam Sandler and John Schneider) should be discussing in long, sad conversations with their inner child.

The movie created a spot of controversy last February. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture Nominees and wrote that they were "ignored, unloved and turned down flat by most of the same studios that ... bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to 'Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo,' a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic."

Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: "Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind ... Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers."

Reading this, I was about to observe that Schneider can dish it out but he can't take it. Then I found he's not so good at dishing it out, either. I went online and found that Patrick Goldstein has won a National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement.

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" while passing on the opportunity to participate in "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "The Aviator," "Sideways" and "Finding Neverland." As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never really cared or agreed with alot of what Ebert says, but he has hit the mark on this one. People wonder why box office is down, it is because shit like this keeps being made. Sadly this movie will make money because we have become a uneducated country as a whole. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now. [bs]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kelly Skaggs
People wonder why box office is down, it is because shit like this keeps being made. Sadly this movie will make money
huh?

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 10:15 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first Duece movie was really about him finding true love in the end. I hate to see a movie that ended a certain way like the first movie then in the second movie have him go back to his old tricks and ignore any character development that was made in the first movie.
By him going back to the prostitution (Manwhoring) He makes the first movies moral accomplishments null and void.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tracy Bellar
The first Duece movie was really about him finding true love in the end. I hate to see a movie that ended a certain way like the first movie then in the second movie have him go back to his old tricks and ignore any character development that was made in the first movie.
By him going back to the prostitution (Manwhoring) He makes the first movies moral accomplishments null and void.

Wow! An in-depth analysis of a shallow movie! Impressive ... reading that analysis was better than watching the movie.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-13-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you went to see the original Deuce Bigalow for its uplifting moral values?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-14-2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Roger Ebert's Review (Zero Stars) is mainly devoted to making Columbia Pictures and especially Rob Schneider look like buffoons.
The movie itself did a pretty good job of that too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: